Who says you can’t be stylish and sexy at sixty? Granted, that new mini trapeze dress may not be on your fashion horizon right now, but there are many other fashionable options for the “mature” fashionista.
Here’s my tips on being fabulous after sixty…
Please throw out the following:
- Floor-length floral printed dresses
- Muumuus (unless they are for lounging around the house)
- Long (ankle length), unstructured, A-line skirts
- Elastic-waisted pants that make everyone look like a balloon
- Unstructured pants and suits
- Large, oversized t-shirts
- Khaki/mauve-colored grandma flats
- Unstylish jumper-type dresses (usually made of khaki or jean material)
- Sweaters with embroidery, appliques, etc (especially christmas sweaters)
Then start re-building your wardrobe. The easiest first step is to go the monochromatic (ie wearing one, simple color like blue, black, white, khaki,etc) route. which will make you look slimmer and classic. Now monochromatic doesn’t mean boring or boxy, just means keeping it simple. Take a look at fabulous women over sixty like Susan Sarandon, Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters, and you will notice that they keep the patterns to a minimum, tending to focus more on wearing solid colors.