So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
(Editor’s note: This post was updated 12/2016.)
Trends come and go, but your body shape is always going to stay the same. True, you may gain or lose weight, but in general your proportions aren’t going to change much. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing, though! If you can learn to love what your momma gave you, you’ll avoid embarrassing “wardrobe malfunctions” and be more confident and happy in your own skin. Dressing for your body type involves understanding your shape and what looks good on it. Here are three strategies to get you started.
3 Strategies for Dressing for Your Body Type
1. Know Your Shape
Can you flip through a magazine or walk through a store and automatically know what styles are going to look good on you? If you know your body shape well enough, you won’t waste time and money on unflattering trends (remember those harem pants you bought? Yeah, we thought so). First, stand in front of a full length mirror for a few minutes. Don’t suck it in or wear your Spanx, just be honest with yourself. Take a look at where you carry weight and then consider the following:
- If you carry most of your weight in your hips and thighs, you’re a pear shape.
- If your chest and shoulders are wider than your hips, you’re an inverted triangle.
- If your hips, shoulders, and waist are pretty much the same size, you’re a rectangle shape.
- If you are fuller up top and slimmer in your lower body, you’re an apple.
- Tiny waist and kickin’ curves? That’s an hourglass.
Can’t figure it out? Ask a close and trustworthy friend for her opinion.