Ladies, I am a RoC Skincare Ambassador, which means I am compensated for sharing my experiences with the brand. Rest assured, all opinions are my own.
I’m a low-maintenance gal. A more ambitious fashion blogger might shudder to learn that I wear my hair up more often than I leave it down. And I sometimes leave the house with no make-up on. I do love to look my best, but I also love to live my life — rather than spend it cleansing, exfoliating, moisturing, serum-izing, stressing out about skin moisture barrier damage, etc. So after years of buying and trying beauty products, I’ve finally settled into a pretty regular, and super easy, skincare routine. If you prefer to get your day started quickly and with confidence, then read on, because this post is for you.
Sometime in my late-20s, I realized aging is a real thing. I’m now 44, and my top skincare concern is (still) fine lines and wrinkles. I do have combination skin that’s slightly sensitive. I used to be prone to breakouts and occasional dry, red patches. But I don’t remember the last time either of those things happened. This tells me I’ve settled on a routine that works for me. I’m sharing in hopes you’ll find it helps you hone in on the routine that’s right for you and your skin type.
The Daily Skincare Routine
Rinse with warm or cool water. I don’t use cleanser on my face in the morning. I only rinse with warm or cool water. I picked up this habit when my hair stylist told me to:
- stop using hot water on my hair and
- shampoo less frequently
After taking her advice, I was relatively shocked at how quickly I saw results. My hair was softer, more manageable and held color better. I figured if this was good practice for my hair, it might be good for my face too. Plus there’s a financial benefit, as I go through cleanser half as fast.
Moisturize face and eyes with sunscreen. My go-to moisturizers are:
- RoC® MULTI CORREXION® 5 In 1 Daily Moisturizer With Sunscreen: here’s what I’ve had to say about this product line in the past.
- RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Eye Cream: here’s what other beauty experts have to say about this product.
BB Cream or Powder Foundation. I use Neutrogena Visibly Even in light to medium or bareMinerals Original foundation in light. I’ve used bareMinerals for more than 10 years, and although it’s not as trendy as it used to be, I’ve had no reason to switch. I was once in a pinch and picked up some Ageless foundation by CoverGirl and Olay in creamy natural. This was a nice cream foundation with SPF, but it wasn’t life-changing.
Cleanse. For cleansers, I alternate between Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and RoC Max Resurfacing Cleanser. The RoC cleanser has a gritty texture, which is really nice for exfoliation purposes. The Neutrogena cleanser offers a very gentle wash with a clean-feeling finish.
Moisturize. My first choice for a nighttime moisturizer is RoC® MULTI CORREXION® 5 In 1 Restoring Night Cream, for the same reasons I use the RoC daily moisturizer. POND’s Rejuveness is another option I like; I randomly picked up a few travel-sized jars of this product and was impressed with its moisturizing capabilities.
Extra Skincare Indulgences
For me, skincare extras are products I buy for myself on special occasions. I may go without them for weeks or months, but when it’s time to splurge, these are at the top of my list.
- RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Deep Wrinkle Serum: a nice, light serum that really works for me. When I need a kick in the anti-aging pants, this is the product I reach for. I like to alternate between using it and not using it daily so I can see and appreciate the results.
- DHC Velvet Skin Coat: a makeup primer that gives your skin an ultra-smooth finish. I once described this product to my husband as “spackle for your face.”
- Shea’wa Facial Mask: a facial mask with activated charcoal. My daughter bought this for me, and I love the way it leaves my skin feeling fresh, youthful and clean! Admittedly, I haven’t been without it yet, because the 5-oz. jar lasts a really long time.
And that’s it for my skincare routine. What are your go-to beauty products? Share in the comments!