If there’s one thing that we love, it’s a great top to go with a comfortable pair of jeans. The combo makes for an easy and versatile outfit, and lets us get maximum value out of our favorite denim. Often, we look to the top to make the statement — which may be why shopping for shirts to wear with jeans can carry with a hint of extra stress.
Shopping for Shirts to Wear With Jeans
You can narrow your options quickly when you’re shopping tops for a specific occasion or even to go with a certain pair of jeans. Here are the guidelines to send you in the right direction:
- Need a casual Friday outfit for the office? Look for button-downs or a peplum style.
- High-waisted jeans look fabulous with cropped tops and shirts that are tucked in (so, no side darts).
- A boot-cut jean wears well with a button-down, slim fit top that’s untucked (so, yes to side darts here).
- Skinny jeans pair well with tunics and untucked styles that drape nicely over your hips.
- For lunch dates, flowy, feminine styles offer a nice balance to the structure of denim.
- On your most casual days, a v-neck t-shirt and belt can be very chic with a tidy pair of jeans. Add a neck scarf or sparkly hair clip for extra impact.
- A sweater is a classic top choice for jeans, but take care to find the right fit — it’s easy to go too tight or too loose. A tight pair of jeans works best with a relaxed-fit sweater. But you can wear boyfriend jeans with a sweater that shows off your topside curves.
Tops Under $50 We Love With Jeans
Ready to put those style strategies into practice? Try one of these five effortlessly chic shirts to wear with jeans — all priced under $50.
What’s better than a plain white tee and a pair of jeans? Try a white top with a twist, like this one from Old Navy. It boasts an airy, lightweight silhouette, and is perfect for keeping cool on balmy spring and summer days. Pretty eyelet-style workmanship lends the piece a feminine twist and makes it the perfect partner for a pair of well-worn boyfriend jeans.
Don’t you just love the way a simple top can look completely complex with just a slight shift in detail? That’s the beauty of this eye-catching LOFT blouse, which at first glance is fairly simple — and that’s a great part of its charm. But it’s the little accents that set it apart, like the button-down back and the cutouts along the sleeves and neckline.
If you want to dress things up a little, then consider a pulled-together blouse like this one from Forever 21. The relaxed silhouette balances the crisp stripes nicely. Wear it tucked in or open for a more casual look.
It’s hard to resist a casual top that features a trendy touch. This Venus top illustrates the beauty of the zipper accent, which transforms an otherwise ordinary piece into something a touch more eye-catching. It’s available in several colors, but coral is a punchy choice for warm weather and a pretty way to brighten up your blue and white jeans.
Denim leggings call for something a little longer, looser, and more free flowing to create an easy silhouette from head to toe. To the rescue comes this Billie & Blossom top, which mimics the appearance of a long vest over a longer tank. It’s ultra casual, laid-back, and comfortable for warm days. You’ll also love the way the linen fabric feels against your skin.
This pretty blouse can easily be teamed with straight-leg jeans in a dark or black wash for the office. Add ankle boots and a blazer for a stylish and professional ensemble. And the best part? No worries about getting the tuck just right every time you make a pit stop, thanks to that drape front.
Latest posts by Tanya (see all)
- The Tribal Print: How Fashionistas Are Wearing It Now - July 18, 2019
- Airport Style: Feel Like a Celeb in These Airport Outfits - July 16, 2019
- Pretty Summer Jewelry on a Budget - July 12, 2019