Rihanna is something of a style chameleon. It’s difficult to deconstruct this diva’s style because, well, she’s always switching it up and keeping us guessing. Her looks range from ladylike gowns and furs, to menswear inspired suits to leather pants to fire engine red makeup. Maybe, her signature look is just that: not committing to one style mold and being fearless when to trying new things. How can she possibly pull off so many contrasting looks, you might ask? Read on…
Rihanna’s Style Deconstructed
1. Lady Ri
Credit: Frank Micelotta/Fox/PictureGroup; Gustavo Caballero/Getty; INF; ANG/Fame; Brian Ach/WireImage
We love to see Rihanna glam it up! She looks stunning when she opts for lady like choices like a white maxi gown, beige boatneck mini dress, or an of-the-moment midi length black lace dress.
1. Aqua one-shoulder gown, $74.40 (down from $248.00) from Bloomindale’s
2. Midi dress, $62.67 from Asos
3. Black and gold sequin dress, $77.00 from LuLu’s
2. Wrappin’ It Up
Credit: Hussein Samir/Sipa; Fame; Bauer Griffin
What better way to add some fun to your up hairstyle than a polka dot scarf? Or, perhaps if you’re not diggin’ your ‘do – why not add a denim tie or bandana to give it that little something extra? Rihanna is a big fan of this look. It looks great on her and keeps her style charming and playful.
Now you can get this look on the cheap from your local drugstore or Wal-Mart (both which sale bandanas for around $2).
3. Hoop Dreams
Credit: Ramey; Brad Barket/INF; Pacific Coast News
Without a doubt, hoop earrings are one of Rihanna’s favorite accessories. Whether she’s dressed up or dressed down, whether her hair is in an updo or sleekly blown-out, these classically shaped earrings suit her every look.
1. Irredescent bead hoop earrings, $12.00 from Hot Topic
2. Gold plated hoop earrings, $22.00 from Nordstrom
3. Thin large hoops, $14.50 from J Crew Factory
4. Fur Sure! –
Credit: Fame, Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images, Aflo/Splash News Online
Rihanna loves her furs. And though this is a difficult choice every fashionista must make for herself, we here at TBF are delighted by all the fabulous faux options out there. Whether you don’t choose the real thing for personal or financial reasons, you still have your pick of some marvy Rihanna-esque pieces!
1. Faux fur leopard coat, $62.80 from Forever 21
2. BB Dakota faux fur vest, $63.00 (down from $90.00) from Shopbop
3. Faux fur scarf, $21.60 (down from $36.00) from Dillard’s
5. Menswear –
Credit: PacificCoastNews.com, PacificCoastNews.com, Bauer Griffin
As much as we love “Lady Ri”, we also can’t get enough of how she rocks the menswear trend! Her pleated trousers, her blazer with the contrasting lapels, her boyfriend jeans – we love it all and we especially love how she carries it off!
1. Black jacket, $69.99 (down from $129.00) from Zara
2. Classic button-down, $59.50 from Banana Republic
3. Pleated cropped trousers, $59.95 from the Gap
4. Patent leather oxfords, $99.00 (down from $178.00) from Madewell
6. Red lips, red nails –
Credit: FlynetPictures.com , PacificCoastNews.com, PacificCoastNews.com
And just like that, Rihanna slips out of her boyfriend jeans and into classic red lipstick with nails to match. Sometimes, she even adapts both themes together, letting them play off one another. She has beautiful skin and the deep red she chooses complements it perfectly.
1. Maybelline ColorSensational lipstick in Red Revival, $7.49 from drugstore.com
2. FACE red nail polish, $6.99 (down from $10.00) from J Crew
And there you have it, one of the most stylish Style Chameleons out there. Rihanna has inspired us to try something new in our closets. How about you?