Reading time: 2.5 minutes. Overview: How to get holiday-ready skin by going gentler with your regimen. Ladies, I am a RoC Skincare Ambassador, which means I’m compensated for sharing my experiences with the brand. This post is sponsored by RoC, and all opinions are my own.
Can you believe Thanksgiving is in two short weeks? And once turkey Thursday hits, your calendar may look like a littered mess of holiday parties, girlfriend get-togethers, happy hours with coworkers and shopping excursions. Through all that, you want to look refreshed and energized (even if you don’t always feel that way). And that means it’s time to show your skin a little love. Because a fashionista with holiday-ready skin is a more confident, charismatic fashionista too.
Here it is: Go Gentle for Holiday-Ready Skin
Cold and dry weather is harsh on your skin. It can lead to breakouts, dull skin or redness and irritation. The trick to minimizing or avoiding those outcomes is to go gentler with your use of product, hot water and even hot air.
Step 1. Change up your skincare regimen.
The thought of switching skincare products really stresses me out — but don’t worry. We’re talking about small, easy changes here. You have two options:
- Switch the products you’re using to the ‘sensitive’ versions. You may know I use RoC products. In the winter, I switch over to RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Sensitive Eye Cream and RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Sensitive Night Cream, which are milder versions of the original formulas. Your favorite skincare line likely has similar options for you to try.
- Change how often you use certain products. Your goal is to be more gentle on your skin this winter, so you may need to cut down on the exfoliates and harsh cleansers. Exfoliation does help remove dull, dry skin, but it’s counterproductive if you’re doing it too often. Same goes for chemical peels, masks and even some cleansers.I even recently went from cleansing twice a day to only once. It’s been a positive change in two ways: my skin seems less dry and I’m saving $$ by using half as much cleanser!
Step 2. Stay away from hot water.
MoreBeauty lists the hot shower as one of six bad habits that are roughing up your skin. Those long, hot showers may feel refreshing, but they’re actually stripping all the natural oils from your skin (and hair too). Opt for shorter, warm-water showers. You’ll see the benefits in two ways:
- Your skin should feel less dry and tight.
- Your hair should be more manageable and will hold color better.
Step 3. Check your thermostat.
Excessive indoor heat, particularly from forced air heating, can also dry out and irritate your skin. Try reducing the temperature or using a timer to turn the heat off entirely at night.
Are you changing up your skincare regimen this holiday season? Share in the comments!
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- The Iconic Label Born at the Family’s Kitchen Table - October 10, 2018
- How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness This October - October 3, 2018
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018