So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
Budget beauty is essential in this hard economy not only for twenty-somethings, but all of us. Finding what kind of products work just as beautifully on a budget is just as important as finding the clever and often time tested ways to get the same result with much less moolah.
In high school, for example, I bought an expensive mascara. Sheathed in a beautiful torpedo and costing three times as much as my regular mascara, I was sure it would make my eyelashes look crazy good. Instead, they looked exactly the same as they did when I used the bright green tube I’d been using since middle school, via the local Save-On.
11 Great Budget Beauty Tips !
1. To dry your nails super quickly without a nail dryer, spray them with Pam. Works!
2. Body scrub is definitely a product you can make on your own that will work just as well. Add raw sugar with olive oil and lemon and you have a completely effective, sweet body scrub.
3. If your favorite lipstick is blunt, don’t toss it. Scoop out the rest and tap the pigment into a small pot, which you can then apply with a lip brush.
4. Years ago I read in Allure magazine that Cetaphil was a dermatologist secret- extremely cheap and amazingly effective as well as being gentle on all skin types, all of the Cetaphil products are a steal.
5. Apple cider vinegar works great for both skin and hair. For hair, it acts to strip hair of buildup and add shine, perfect for a rinse after product buildup. For skin, it works as a toner.
7. Once I read an interview with a model who said her prettiest makeup routine involved mainly lipstick- she picked a favorite shade of red and applied it to her lips, cheeks and took a tiny spot of color mixed with petroleum jelly and rubbed it in the crease of her eye. Curl eyelashes and add mascara, and you have a cheap and beautiful look.
8. At $6 you cannot beat this eye makeup remover—works perfectly and easily to take of stubborn makeup.
9. As a pre-teen I started taking my mom’s vitamin E and popping one open to use the oil on my chapped lips. Works beautifully and gives your lips a sexy glow.
10. I’ve been using L’Oreal true match foundation since it came out and love it. It’s under $10 and actually covers but without that cakey look we all dread. I have light skin with freckles and it works perfectly, but there is a shade for all skin colors.
11. For nails, this budget trick is so fun—use the bulb end of a bobby pin to create polka dots over a base color for a perfect manicured look!
12. Don’t forget to poke around online for coupons and cash back for your favorite stores. Canadian readers can use eBates for example to find Bed Bath and Beyond Canada Coupons. For US readers, eBates has Macy’s deals here.