The desire for supple, healthy, glowing skin is one that many women have — but only a few take the initiative to work at it. The array of easily accessible, natural ingredients makes it worthwhile to try your hands on a few all-natural, DIY moisturizer recipes. We share six of our favorites below — these DIY beauty tricks are sure to give your skin a boost of lift and radiance!
DIY Moisturizer Recipes
1. Avocado Oil Moisturizer
Why Avocado oil? Avocados are loaded with nutrients like vitamins C, B6 and K, potassium, folate, and fiber. The anti-oxidizing quality of avocado helps to exfoliate dead skin cells, so that regeneration can take place with ease. Also, the fatty acids and polyunsaturated elements in avocado oil help plump your skin and firm its natural barrier to keep your skin cells protected and radiant. Fatty acids are essential to healthy cell membranes — without them, the skin would appear dull.
- Split open an avocado and remove the seed
- Puree the flesh from the two halves
- Place the pureed avocado into a pot and heat
- Remove from heat when the avocado turns dark
- Squeeze the heated avocado puree through a cheesecloth to bring out the oil
- Pour the oil in a jar
- Keep the oil in the refrigerator and scoop out as needed
To use, rub the oil on to your skin gently and wait 30 minutes. Rise with lukewarm water. Repeat once weekly.
2. The Egg Yolk Mix Moisturizer
Why egg yolk? Eggs provide healthy nutrients like folate, lutein, zeaxanthin selenium and vitamins for general wellbeing, plus skin radiance and glow The use of egg yolk in moisturizing your skin is founded on proven research; as a binding agent with no artificial ingredients, it will lead to firmer skin. This simple recipe makes it possible for your skin to absorb other ingredients after proper use.
- Break two eggs
- Separate the yolks and place them in a bowl
- Add a quarter of ripened avocado
- Add 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt
- Whisk to combine
- Step into your bath tub
- Apply a thick layer of the mix over your skin
- Leave to dry for 15 minutes
- Turn on warm water and wash off
- Repeat the process weekly
3. Cocoa Butter Rub-in Moisturizer
Cocoa butter has a rich mix of palmitic and stearic acids and saturated fats that give this ingredient super moisturizing power. This recipe combines cocoa butter with castor and Argan oils for maximum impact. You can also experiment by adding in almond and/or jojoba oil.
- Scoop equal amounts of cocoa butter, castor oil and Argan into a saucepan
- Heat the mixture gently and stir until combined
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool before scooping into a jar
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until hardened
- To use, scoop into a hot water tub
- Soak in the tub for up to an hour
- Dry with a towel and use your lotion
- Repeat as often as you like
4. Yogurt with Lemon Moisturizer
Why yogurt? Yogurt is an active source for the supply of zinc, potassium, vitamin B12, proteins and pantothenic acid.
- Wash one lemon and cut open
- Hand squeeze 2 teaspoons of lemon juice into the bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Add 1 egg white
- Whisk ingredients together
- Rub generously on your face and let dry for 15 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water
5. Coconut Oil Rub
Why coconut oil? Coconut oil is loaded with proteins, fats and vitamin E. Regular application of coconut oil on skin does show results. It works on hair too!
There’s no recipe needed here. Simply pick up organic, unrefined coconut oil and apply straight onto your skin. Repeat as needed. Try using it after bathing in the morning and before you go to bed.
6. Honey and Banana
Why honey and banana? Honey is filled with age-defying ingredients and antioxidants. Banana on the other hand contains potassium and vitamins C and E.
- Mix one-quarter of a banana with 1 tablespoon of honey with a fork
- Add 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- Rub all over your skin and let dry for about 30 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Do you have any other DIY moisturizer recipes to share? Let us know in the comments.
Hello, Sarah, here from FixYourSkin! I have a lot of experience with skin health and have written several articles that have been published. FixYourSkin has a lot of useful tips and skincare advice on best vitamin c serum, moisturizers and DIY recipes which can give you great looking skin without any side effects! If you are looking for the Best Moisturizer for Acne Prone Skin, check out Fixyourskin.com.