Maybe you’ve already subbed coconut oil for something in your culinary pursuits, or maybe you’re adding a spoonful to your morning coffee for an energy boost. But the real magic is about to go down over the sink or in the shower.
That’s because raw and unfiltered coconut oil is the beauty-must that’s changing everything. What started as an essential to those who are familiar with Ayurvedic medicine, is now becoming a mainstream beauty cure-all.
Beauty Properties of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is packed with protein, Vitamin E and fatty acids. Saturated fats in this beauty cure-all like capric acid, caprylic acid, caproic acid and myristic acid have anti-oxidant and anti-aging powers. That means they can rejuvenate your skin and hair.
These same fatty acids can also develop anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties when they interact with enzymes in the body. Those properties help fight off things like dermatitis and rashy, itchy skin.
9 Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil
- Use coconut oil as the base for DIY shampoo. Find 6 recipes here.
- Apply a dab of coconut oil to the ends of wet hair to moisturize and add shine.
- Put a tiny amount of coconut oil on your palms and apply to dry hair to tame frizz.
- To fight dandruff, dilute coconut oil with lemon juice and massage into the scalp. Leave on for a few minutes, then rinse.
- Massage warm coconut oil into scalp to support hair growth.
One of the great beauties of any oil is that it breaks down the tough stuff. Coconut oil is the perfect choice as a safe makeup remover and does the job of a cleanser just as well, removing impurities and even unwanted oil.
- Use coconut oil and a cotton ball to remove makeup and cleanse skin.
- Dab coconut oil onto dry skin for a quick moisture boost.
- Add a few drops of coconut oil to your bath to soothe irritated skin.
Solidified coconut oil breaks down in the palm of your hand. In the same way, coconut oil also breaks down into cleansing liquid in your mouth. Swishing oil around in your mouth is a practice known as oil pulling, and it’s thought to reduce the harmful bacteria in the mouth. Some even swear by it as an alternative to teeth brushing.
Here’s what to do:
- Put a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around for 15 to 20 minutes. Spit it out.
You’ll notice improved oral health including whiter chompers, healthier gums and even better breath.
Latest posts by Melissa (see all)
- All Ears: How to Make Your Outfits Look More Expensive, Instantly - February 4, 2018
- Turn Red Carpet Style into V-Day Glamour - February 2, 2018
- 5 Gym Wear Essentials Cool Enough to Wear on a Night Out - January 21, 2018