Our content contains affiliate links, so know that we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
We know that choosing what to wear to a fall wedding can be a frustrating task. You don’t want to upset the bride (more importantly, you don’t want to upstage the bride). But, you still want to look amazing. Plus when it comes to fall, you never know what type of weather you’re going to get (Hurricane? Maybe. Blizzard? Why not?) so we put together this little guide to help you look your fabulous best at your fall weddings.
What to Wear to a Fall Wedding:
- Dress up. A pretty dress is fine for both afternoon and evening weddings.
- Wear nice heels or flats, depending on what makes you most comfortable (flats might be easier to maneuver outside).
- Embrace bright fall colors. Marigold, maroon, purple, turquoise, dark green would be beautiful.
- Check with the bride to see what color the bridesmaids are wearing. You don’t want to look like you’re in the wedding party.
- Bring a shawl or pashmina to an evening wedding in case it gets cold.
- Consider a pretty fall suit in a lightweight wool like gabardine.
- Accessorize. Find a statement necklace in coordinating colors to your outfit.
- Wear something you feel sexy in, but stay modest.
- Wear white, off-white, or ivory.
- Wear basic brown, which can look very sad at a wedding.
- Wear flip-flops or casual shoes. Dress to impress.
- Wear shorts, revealing tops or dresses that are too tight or too short.
- Wear anything alarming or attention-seeking, like giant hats or neon orange dresses. Go for a more muted appearance.
What to Wear to a Fall Wedding: Dressing Tips
Dress for the Time and Place
Aside from color, time and place are the two most important things to consider when attending a fall wedding. Is the wedding taking place on a farm? In a ballroom? On a vineyard? If the wedding is taking place outdoors, bring a shawl or scarf to keep warm.
You might also want to remember things like bug spray in case you spend the entire wedding outdoors. For an afternoon fall wedding, you can absolutely wear a dressy sundress. Evening weddings require more dressing up, so choose a tasteful cocktail dress or a suit. Another thing to consider is that the weather may get cooler as you move from the ceremony to the reception site, so plan accordingly. Ultimately, use the clues on the invitation to help you determine the time and place of the wedding, which in turn will tell you how dressy your outfit should be.
4. Strapless Dress, $78.00
5. One Shoulder Dress, Jessica Simpson, $44.80
6. Chiffon Ruffle Tube Dress, Arden B., $59.00
Dress To Impress
Even though the crisp fall weather might not require heavy coats and gloves just yet, dresses are still the way to go for a fall wedding. Stay away from shorts, skorts, jeans and sandals.
Remember the Importance of Color
Probably the most important item on our do’s and don’ts list is color. Just stay away from the whites, including cream. It’s also a great idea to check with the bride to see what the wedding colors are. You probably don’t want to be mistaken for a member of the wedding party or blend in too much with the scenery.
How to Dress for Fall Wedding: Choose Complementary Accessories
Dress up your outfit with colorful accessories. You can bring a shawl in pretty fall hues to keep warm. You might also consider wearing flats to an outdoor wedding to keep from sinking into the mud. For an indoor wedding during the fall, you can wear pumps or peep toe shoes, but stay away from sandals because they are more appropriate for a summer wedding.
Also, don’t forget a small clutch that coordinates with your outfit. Pack necessities in it like your phone, a little bit of cash, your lip gloss, and a compact!
Shine it Up: Jewelry
For a fall wedding, you can use darker lipsticks as well as a jewel-toned eyeshadow, like emerald green. As a rule of thumb, don’t go over the top with makeup. You should accentuate either your eyes or your lips, not both. Think pretty and natural, rather than the heavy makeup you’d wear for a night out on the town.
For jewelry, you can feel free to wear earrings and a necklace as well as a bracelet or bangles. Similar to our makeup philosophy for a fall wedding wear, jewelry should be modest but fun and fashionable. Statement necklaces are okay, just pair them with lighter earrings.
10. Three-Row Faceted Ovals Bracelet, NY&C, $19.95
11. Faceted Bead Drop Earrings, Express, $22.90
12. Chain and Beads Bib Necklace, $22.95
By following these tips, you’re sure to find the perfect outfit to wear to a wedding this fall.