Contrary to popular belief, the skinny scarf is not just for the Saint Laurent crowd. Yes, the YSL girl is oft found stomping the runway in slip dresses, fur and these slinky accessories. But the skinny scarf inspiration, like many a fashion trend, comes from years prior.
Borrowed from the beauty of a few rock n’ roll founding fathers, the skinny scarf has long been a staple in the wardrobes of the world’s biggest stars. Ziggy Stardust, Steven Tyler and Rod Stewart rocked them long before their offspring could participate and eventually build a business out of it.*cough* Kimberly Stewart for Rockins *cough*.
Before Hedi Slimane was sending skinny scarves down the catwalk with models (oddly enough) looking like early 2000s socialites, it was the rockstars holding court in Hollywood who were turning the stringy style into a thing. And it wasn’t just the boys — it’s likely you’ve probably seen pictures of that boho goddess, Stevie Nicks, with a scarf or two as well.
Like many a ’70s trend, the skinny scarf is back and making a big impact, giving you a fabulously versatile option to accessorize in between seasons. Cool enough so it doesn’t look silly, but warm enough so it won’t be weighed down and hidden by a bulky coat, the skinny scarf is an excellent choice for fall.
And, these accessories make for an easy way to overhaul your look:
- Replace your statement necklace with one of these thin essentials and complement it with some hoops.
- Wear a skinny scarf to the office with a silky blouse, boots and pencil skirt.
- Tie on a skinny scarf before you head out for the evening in a spaghetti dress or maxi number.
- Slip one on before you head out for some Saturday shopping, paired with mules and a knit sweater.
No matter which looks you choose, a solid, print or patterned skinny scarf bumps up your vintage vibe with minimal effort.
Latest posts by Melissa (see all)
- All Ears: How to Make Your Outfits Look More Expensive, Instantly - February 4, 2018
- Turn Red Carpet Style into V-Day Glamour - February 2, 2018
- 5 Gym Wear Essentials Cool Enough to Wear on a Night Out - January 21, 2018