I’m just going to say it: being female and over 40 right now is awesome. I’ve outgrown that awkward self-consciousness, my personal style is what it is (take it or leave it), and there are many amazing, powerful and inspiring women of my own age around. Case in point: InStyle magazine has published its list of the 50 most stylish women of 2016 — and five of the top six picks are 40 and older.
Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lopez, Diane Kruger and Gwyneth Paltrow all earned “most stylish” honors this year for their stunning red carpet style. But these lovely ladies keep their fashion sense on high gear 24/7 — with chic everyday looks that even budget fashionistas can rock. Join me in a series of posts to highlight memorable casual ensembles from these ladies, and share how you can get the same look for less.
Today’s over-40 style icon is Julianne Moore. At 55, Moore has been on the acting scene since the ’80s and has graced many red carpets. Her best formal looks involve long, sleek, solid colored gowns from names like Tom Ford and Giorgio Armani. On casual days, though, Moore kicks it in skinny jeans and tees. Here are two easy looks to work in to your own wardrobe.
Airport Style by Julianne Moore
The look for less
Julianne’s airport ensemble is so great because it’s simple to put together. You probably already have a striped tee shirt, skinny jeans and black ankle boots in your closet. Add in texture with a faux fur jacket and an enormous (and super functional) tote bag, and you’re nailing this look yourself. If you want to tone down the big furry jacket, try a curly fur faux vest instead!
- Faux Fur Jacket, $79.99, H&M
- Women’s Elbow Sleeve Linen Tee, $17.99, Target
- Mavi Jeans Serena in Dark Super, $59.99, 6pm
- Women’s A2 By Aerosole Strole Along Booties, $43.99, Target
- CalPak Zanny, $60.95, Shoebuy
Julianne Moore Street Style
The look for less
The key to this outfit is the right tee shirt. You may have to try a few before you find the balance between fabric and fit; Moore’s tee is very lightweight and fits loosely, without looking too manly. (Your hubby’s Hanes T won’t do here unfortunately.) I found a nice option at ASOS, but Target, JCPenney and other budget retailers will have good picks as well.
- Scala Panama Bow Band Fedora Hat, $12.99 (on sale), JCPenney
- Vero Moda Round Neck Jersey T-Shirt, $11.50, ASOS
- Bobeau Ponte Ankle Pant, $29.97, NordstromRack
- Extra Long Sterling Silver Necklace, $29.90, Etsy
- Birkenstock Gizeh N Open To Synthetic Thong Sandal, $25.99, Walmart
Ready to walk the streets in Julianne Moore style? I’d love to see your looks on Instagram!
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- 20 Hot Picks from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (Under $50 Each) - July 14, 2019
- Work Outfit for Pears — Under $75 - July 12, 2019
- The New Era of Smocked Tops and Dresses - July 9, 2019