Dear Budget Fashionista,
I am vocalist of an alternative band and my image is supposed to be feminine yet still look tough (a rocker chick) I want to know how to achieve this look on a budget. How can dress like a rock star (on a budget)?
Answer: The best way to achieve this image is to follow the steps that a high-end stylist would take in creating an image for an up and coming rock star at a major record label.
How to Dress Like a Rock Star
1. Find inspiration. Look at all the popular groups in your genre with female leads and take notes on their personal style. Look and see what elements of their style you like and can easily incorporate into your existing wardrobe. For example Courtney Love’s Hole-era style of baby doll dresses and heavy make-up was a great rock chick look. Babydoll dresses are a HUGE trend this year, so you can stock up on them at stores like Forever 21 and H&M.
2. Develop a Signature Piece. Do you have a signature items that you wear everyday like stiletto heels, scarves, bright red hair, etc? If not, develop a signature item that is uniquely you that will make you and your band standout from the pack. For example, always wear the babydoll dresses with stilettos or wear it with converse hot top sneakers. Maybe rock an awesome hair cut (with a shocking color) with sweet floral dresses. Focus your energies on maintaining or building a collection of these items. Always try make sure you have one feminine and one rocker element in all of your outfits.
3. Know Your Stores. Shopping at stores like H&M, Forever 21, Wet Seal, eBay and thrift stores like the Salvation Army should become second nature to you. Shop salvation army and eBay for unique vintage pieces like loud Pucci-esqe prints from the 60s, baby doll dresses from the 70s, and brightly colored jackets from the 80s.
4. Make sure you can maintain it. Until you become a star, you’ll be doing your own make-up and acting as your own personal stylist. Make sure what ever style you create can be maintain on the road and with minimum help from others.It’s important that you “own” the style, so when you become a rock star, the image carries over.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- Mother Of The Bride Outfit—Less Than $250 - October 18, 2019
- Material Difference: The Easy Way To Pick Super Chic Fall Accessories - October 13, 2019
- Chic Fall Outfit for Hourglasses—Under $150 - October 10, 2019