This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
Color blocking sounds ( and looks a little bit ) like an 80’s pop band, but it is simply the fashion of wearing multiple blocks of color in an outfit. Spring is absolutely the perfect time for this bold and playful fashion, but how do you dress in blocks of color without looking like either the cutest baby on the block or Punky Brewster? Here, TBF steps in and sets you straight.
Here’s How to Color Block Outfits the Right Way!
1. Start with the obvious. The most flattering colors on you. What looks amazing with your hair and skin? These aren’t the only colors you can use, but you might want to keep these colors the ones close to your face- in other words, in your shirt or the top of your dress.
2. Grab a color wheel. The most helpful tool in color blocking is the color wheel, wether you use shades of the same color, colors in the same family or even colors across the wheel from each other. Make a statement that doesn’t say ‘ Maybe not ‘
3. Remember, this is color blocking, so you don’t typically want to use prints, which are the the opposite. The blocks of color create their own pattern. However, rules are made to be broken, so if you find a pattern and a color block and just know it is killing it, go for it.
4. You don’t have to buy clothing to achieve this affect, although there are lots of color blocked pieces out there to choose from. If budget or your sense of style leaves you picking items from your own wardrobe, you can simply use, for example, a solid colored shirt, solid colored skirt and belt and aha! You’ve color blocked like a pro. Other ensembles might be the same colored shirt and jacket with black pants or wearing the same color in different shades for each piece.
5. As a general rule, when color blocking, keep accessories neutral toned. The eye is already overwhelmed with the big bold chunks of color.
We’ve gathered some fashionably chic images of color blocking done right for inspiration. Go forth and color block!