Chicago is one of my FAVORITE shopping cities (read about my shopping adventures in the Chicago Tribune). Located on the shores of the mighty Lake Michigan, Chicago is definitely our kind of town. Part college town, part business town and part ethnic enclave, Chicago is full of amazing deals. Chicago fashionistas have long loved the city’s mix of thrift stores and ethnically-inspired shops.
Chicago Shopping Tips
1. Pick up a copy of Chicago Magazine. This magazine lists the best sample sales and shopping events in the Chicago metro area. You can also sign up to have the sale and shopping information sent directly to your e-mail inbox.
2. Read Ellen Warren’s column in the Chicago Tribune. Ellen is Chicago’s true shopping diva and has her finger on all the best places to shop in Chicago, which she often lists in the most-read weekly column in Chicago’s top daily newspaper.
3. McShane’s Exchange is one of the best consignment shops in THE WORLD (with two locations, 815 W. Armitage Ave. and 1141 W. Webster Ave.). I purchased a Henri Beguelin bag for $100 and a pair of Chanel pumps, barely worn, for $50 at the Armitage Ave. location. Make sure to check out the second floor, which has heavily reduced prices, most less than $20.
4. Head to Lincoln Park for thrift. Here you’ll find the best selection of thrift and antique stores, including the trendy Plato’s Closet.
5. Goodwill is…GREAT! If you’re a true Thriftnista, then you MUST head to the Goodwill store at 1201 W. Washington Blvd. (not far from the Loop). This Goodwill store, which offers a frequent shopper’s card, is chock-full of amazing deals, from a white wool Escada jacket for $19.99 to a pair of barely- worn Kate Spade evening pumps for $15.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018
- Mom Break! 5 Ways to Pamper Yourself When Kids Go Back to Class - August 23, 2018
- Beauty Supplements: Are They Worth It? - August 21, 2018