- Explore Midtown. Visit the three B’s: Bergdorf, Barney’s (which started off as men’s discount suit retailer), and Bendel’s – plus their more conservative cousin – Saks. Then head to Zara, Mexx, and the flagship H&M store to find similar fashions (but lower quality) for signficantly less.
- Stop at Chelsea. Chelsea is as close to suburbian shopping as Manhattan gets with a Loehmanns (deals okay, sales staff horrible), Bed, Bath & Beyond, Old Navy (which has a large plus size section), and T.J. Maxx. However, you can find great deals while supporting worthy causes at the nearby Housing Works Thrift Shop, where I found a beautiful, barely worn, Donna Karan Collection evening dress for $45 (retail price- $1500+). Also take a stroll by the Find Outlet, which is really more like a boutique, with discounted finds from designers like Chloe , Paul& Joe, etc.
- Shop Downtown. As long as authenticity doesn’t concern you, Chinatown is the perfect place to bargain hunt. The street is a knock-off mecca. Plus head to Gabay’s outlet, a little known shoppers paradise off the beaten path.
- Bring Credit cards – New Yorkers rarely carry more than $20 in cash. Sad but true – it’s just not safe nor practical. Try to stay away from traveler’s checks, as well. Many merchants regard them as a nuisance.
What to Wear...
How To Wear...
How to Dress, If You're...
TBF Guide to...
- Decorating Your Home
- DIY Fashion
- Clothing Types
- Stores that Ship International
- Best Shopping Tips