This spring, use a floral pins to add a much-needed splash of color to your outfits. The accessory, which continues to be a must-have trend, retails from $4 at stores like H&M to over $20 at major department stores like Nordstrom. Now, you “craft challenged” fashionistas may decide to brave the lines at your local H&M to purchase the accessory. However, for those of up to this simple craft challenge, my advice is to get creative and make your own.
How to Make a Flower Pin
Here’s what you’ll need:
– A silk flower (they usually come with two to three flowers per stem)
– Glue gun (with glue of course) or some really strong fabric glue
– Package of undecorated hair clips or pins
(These items may be purchased at any craft or dollar store. Remember to check your local papers since craft stores like Michael’s often have deals on silk flowers)
Remove the flower from the stem and cut off any extra fabric or plastic at the base. Heat up the glue gun and apply a thin line to the flat side of the barrette (applying it to the flower, as I learned, it not a good idea). Press the flower to the base and hold for about 10-15 seconds. Sit to dry.
I’ve made several floral pins for myself and for friends and family members as gifts. I usually purchase my flowers from the local dollar store and make about 3 flower pins for less $4; cheaper than buying a floral pin from H&M.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- The Iconic Label Born at the Family’s Kitchen Table - October 10, 2018
- How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness This October - October 3, 2018
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018