How to get rid of gray hair naturally — or at least without hair dye? I set out to find an answer, because I was over permanent hair dye. Permanent dye makes my brunette locks look amazing…for exactly one week. Then the dye job has the opposite effect, emphasizing the gray at my hairline as my roots come in.
So, this is a good news/bad news post. First, the good news. There are non-dye options for managing and minimizing gray hair. I’ve tried two of them, and I share my experiences below. Notably, I haven’t used permanent dye on my hair since 2020.
And the bad news? I haven’t found an easy, effective, non-dye method for eliminating gray hair. I’m sure technology will find a way to restore our natural hair color someday, but I don’t think it’s happened yet.
Natural gray hair solution 1: Supplements
Heyhair’s Gray Escape is a daily supplement that promises to reverse gray hair and promote hair growth for men and women.
Sounds crazy, I know. But I’ve been taking Heyhair’s Gray Escape for seven months and I’m convinced it works, mostly. I say “mostly” because I still have gray hair — just a lot less of it.
There was a time when nearly half my hair growing in was gray. My non-scientific guess is that Gray Escape has reduced that to about 15%.
I can’t speak to whether my hair is healthier or growing faster, though. I started taking Gray Escape around the same time I made other changes to my hair care routine. The most significant change was less frequent use of heat styling tools. So yes, my hair seems healthier. But no, I can’t attribute the improvement entirely to Gray Escape.
Quick review of Gray Escape gray hair pills
- Does Gray Escape work? Yes, in my experience, Gray Escape has restored some (but not all) of my natural hair color.
- How do you take Gray Escape? I take two pills daily. Tip: Take one every time you brush your teeth. It’s easier to remember that way.
- How much does Gray Escape cost? If you subscribe to auto-ship, the current price is $30.60 monthly. That’s one bottle each month. I buy six bottles at a time, so the price goes down to $27 per bottle.
- How long do you take Gray Escape? You must continue taking it to maintain your results.
- Why would I try Gray Escape? Try Gray Escape for a convenient solution to minimize your gray hair. Plan on sticking with it for at least three months to see results.
Natural gray hair solution 2: Root treatment
Another non-dye option for gray hair is Hair Mayraki Restore. This is a gel-like formula you pump out and rub into your roots. According to product literature, it boosts melanin production to stimulate natural pigmentation of your hair follicles. The formula is vegan, and free of sulfates, paraben, and formaldehyde.
The million-dollar question is, does it work? Yes, it does. If you follow the instructions, Hair Mayraki’s Restore works better and faster than Gray Escape.
There is a downside, though. This product will stain everything it touches. That includes your fingernails, your pillowcase, clothes, or a nearby wall. For that reason, you should wear gloves and cover nearby surfaces. Wear a silk bonnet to bed if you apply it at night.
One other note about Restore. It will color existing gray hair, not just new hair growing in. On my hair, it turns my gray pieces a lighter auburn color. They do look like highlights against my normal brunette, which is a plus.
Also, I don’t know how the product reacts with naturally blond hair.
Quick review of Hair Mayraki Restore
- Does Hair Mayraki Restore get rid of gray hair? Yes, if you follow instructions and are diligent about regular application.
- How do you use Hair Mayraki Restore? Apply a few pumps to your roots twice daily for the first three weeks. Then you can reduce the application to three times weekly. (The instructions say the maintenance application is one to two times weekly, but I had to use it more often.) Wear gloves and cover surfaces during application, because it will stain.
- How much does Hair Mayraki Restore cost? It’s not cheap. The price is $98 for two 100 ml bottles. I went through two bottles in three months.
- How long do you use Hair Mayraki Restore? You must continue using it to maintain your results.
- Why would I use Hair Mayraki Restore? Use it when you want a quick solution for gray hair and you’re willing to do the tedious work of repetitive application.
Budget Fashionista Tip: Get coupon codes now with Capital One shopping. Here's how.
My gray hair management routine
Here’s my gray hair story. I started using Hair Mayraki Restore in the second half of last year. At the time I was dying my own hair with semi-permanent color, Clairol Natural Instincts.
I was impressed that Restore does work, but not thrilled with the inconvenience of using it. As noted above, it stains everything — sort of like a self-tanner would. Also, if you put off your weekly root touch-ups, you’ll see the grays coming in quick.
In search of a more convenient solution, I tried Gray Escape. The trouble is that Gray Escape takes longer to produce results — months actually. So I continued on with Restore while taking Gray Escape.
Today, my gray hair regimen is:
- Take two Gray Escapes daily.
- Spot treat problem areas once a week (or so) with Restore. My problem areas for gray are the hair at the sides of my face, above my ears plus one section at the right side of my forehead.
- Full disclosure: I have used semi-permanent dye twice in the last six months, once applied professionally and once applied at home. This was more for recoloring the ends of my hair. My ends were substantially lighter than the roots, a leftover of pre-COVID professional coloring.
Admittedly, my regimen isn’t cheap. The investment in Gray Escape and Restore could blow your beauty budget. If that’s the case, I’d recommend Clairol Natural Instincts as an affordable gray hair solution. You can buy it for $8 on Amazon.
I’ll also share that I’m not opposed to natural gray hair. Some women can rock a gorgeous gray hairstyle…just not me. When I tried growing my own hair out to its natural color, it was patchy. More gray in some areas and less in others — sort of a tabby cat vibe, which I didn’t love.
Ladies, let me know if you’ve tried other non-dye gray hair solutions. I’d love to hear your experience.