Of the 10 odd possible chic outerwear options, it was a little surprising this season when we saw capes and ponchos hitting Fall runways (again, wasn’t this a trend we saw in 2004?). We saw a ton of variations on the style at Temperly London, Vena Cava, Rag and Bone, Philip Lim, Alexander Wang and everyone’s favorite new label, Altazurra.
One of the things we like about the loose fitting cover ups is that they can be both subtle and eye catching in their oddity. Plus they’re easy to style and very low maintenance.
In terms of recent celebs rockin’ the trend, Sienna Miller has the English schoolgirl down to perfection, donning a short cape with a white Oxford top and a short black plated skirt with, of course, a beret cap and classic, structured bag. Kate Moss, obviously true to form, going for a more bold eveningwear look, opted for a glitzier, sequined version with a black silk jumpsuit. Capes also come as loose fitting coats, a la Blair Waldorf or left open and layered with bright cardigans.
Our Picks for Capes Under $100
1. ASOS Military Knitted Cape, $67
2. California Fleece Cape, $65 at American Apparel
3. Cape Style Jacket, $29.99 at Newport News
4. Rainwave Tribal Waterproof Festival Kimono, $75 at ASOS
5. Taupe couture cape, $54.99 at Modcloth
6. The Wanderer Cape, $57.99 at Modcloth
7. Tarnish Mock Neck Wing Sleeve Capelet, $88 at Nordstrom