Dear Budget Fashionista,
I have a question and maybe it’s a stupid one. I have a lot of problems with jeans and the fit (or lack there of) around the waist band. There always seems to be a gap. I have a pair in particular that I love and want to keep except for this problem. Is there a way to have them tailored? Is this a common request? Do you have any advice in this area?
Answer: Very, Very common problem
Yes you can have them tailored.. but most tailors will not be able to give you that perfect fit because the problem is in the construction of the jeans. Jean manufacturers are making jeans for women that sit right on the hips and these women don’t have as defined a waist as you do so the jeans fit on them without a gap. Tailors can make the waist band smaller and take in the hips, but that would essentially be reconstructing the entire jean. Also working with jean material isn’t easy and the tailoring may cost you more than what the jeans are worth.
– Try a pair of jeans that is a size smaller with at least 3% spandex/lycra content, which helps reduce the booty gap problem
– Look for jeans that are made for those with a bit more curves- the Gap’s curvy fit, Apple Bottoms Jeans (excellent, excellent jeans for those with this problem and can be found at Macys)
– Try jeans with a higher rise (at your waist or about an inch below your natural waist).
– You can also make your own jeans at http://mejeans.com and http://www.makeyourownjeans.com/. LandsEnd also has a custom made jean service, but the items aren’t very fashionable.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- 20 Hot Picks from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (Under $50 Each) - July 14, 2019
- Work Outfit for Pears — Under $75 - July 12, 2019
- The New Era of Smocked Tops and Dresses - July 9, 2019