This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
Accidentally shrink your favorite wool sweater? Well, this tip gives you instructions on how to unshrink that sweater in using your own kitchen sink
How to Unshrink a Sweater
1. You can stretch your sweater by soaking the garment in a tub and/or sink with a mixture of gentle hair conditioner (think Baby Shampoo) and lukewarm water for approximately 15 minutes.
2. Drain the water out of the tubg/sink. DO NOT wring the sweater, but press the sweater against the side of the basin to drain the excess water.
3. Remove the garment and lay it flat on a really thick towel that is very absorbent.
4. Use another towel to blot the excess water away.
5. Gently pull the sweater into the desired shape.
6. Let the sweater air dry flat as hanging the sweater will put it out of shape
Interesting Fact: A similar procedure for unshrinking a sweater, called blocking, is used by high-end knit designers like St. John Knits to “stretch” garments to a larger size.
Here’s a Great Video with Tips on How to Unshrink a Sweater
Interesting fact: A similar procedure, called blocking, is used by high-end knit designers like St. John Knits to “stretch” garments to a larger size.