Thank the fashion gods: Cozy knits are trending during this unusually cold and wet winter. And when it comes to knits, wool is the gold standard. Whether you’re a merino wool sweater girl, cashmere lover, or lambswool fanatic, your favorite wool sweaters are going to be wardrobe MVPs for the next few months.
That leaves us all with a challenge: How to style wool sweaters beyond the age-old combo of jeans and ankle boots? I have 10 answers for you. Read on for a look at 10 inspiring and fun wool sweater outfit ideas to keep you at the top of your style game through winter.
1. Bright cashmere with kitten heels
This combo is simple and stunning. A bright sweater matched with interesting jeans and kitten heels can take you from work on casual days to pizza parties and PTA meetings.
2. Over your shoulders
When it’s too warm outside to wear your wool sweater, use it as an accessory. Toss it over your shoulders to give your jeans and t-shirt an upgraded, trendy vibe.
3. Oversized everything
Pair an oversized wool turtleneck sweater with pleated-front trousers in a darker shade of the same color. The look is classy, subtle, and pro enough for the office.
4. The texture bomb
Try teaming a bright sweater with different forms of texture for a layered look that surely turns heads. Here, the denim, crystal embellishments, and faux leather leggings combine for a fun outfit that’ll take you anywhere.
5. Let the layers shine
Don’t underestimate the power of the layer under your sweater. You can play with complementary colors, contrasting ones, or fun patterns.
6. Monochrome mama
Try teaming your wool sweaters with bottoms of nearly the same color. Whites or creams are especially impactful in winter, because they’re less common. Some people still hang onto the old “no white after Labor Day” thing, and you can use that to your benefit.
7. Show those legs
If the weather complies, try a bulky sweater with shorts or a skirt. Your bare legs should balance the volume of the sweater perfectly.
This outfit also provides fabulous color inspiration. How great is that green next to the gray, pin-striped short?
8. The long line
A long cardigan always makes a statement, especially when paired with a shirt dress and sassy, textured boots. Take a page from Kellyobi.ny’s book and wear your long line cardigan like a trench coat. Add tights underneath your skirt or dress if it’s especially cold.
9. Low slung belt
If you haven’t tried tucking in a sweater, do it today. Yes, sweaters are bulky and that can feel like a weird thing to jam into the top of your pants. But trust me here: Tucking your sweater changes its shape dramatically, which makes it feel like a whole new piece. Add a low-slung belt and you’re sure to command admiring glances from anyone who appreciates fashion.
10. Color-pop accessories
So many things are going right in this wool sweater outfit. The variation in texture is gorgeous; the thick knit balances the sheer, lightweight skirt so beautifully. But the real heroes are the red-orange accessories — including the nail polish — that pop so nicely against the soft purples.
Sweater style strategies
Finally, I’ll leave you with a few pointers to make these sweater outfits your own:
- Jeans generally look amazing with sweaters. To keep things interesting, experiment with different jean leg styles and hemlines. If your go-to is a skinny jean, try a cropped pant with a wide leg instead.
- Bulky sweaters wear well over leggings. Similar to the point above, you can mix things up by varying the type of legging you wear. A faux leather legging is a nice choice for an evening event, for example.
- Layer under. A collared shirt beneath a chunky sweater can change the whole tone of your outfit.
- Layer over. Try a moto jacket over a sleek sweater or a blazer over bulkier sweater. You can also layer knits over knits for a fun textural play.
- Add or remove a belt. Add a belt or take one away for a different look. Try the belt with a tuck or half-tuck of your sweater for more variation.
- Shoes can set the tone. This rule applies to nearly any outfit, but it’s still worth mentioning here. If you need to dress up or down a sweater outfit, start with the shoes. Sneakers play up the casual side of a knit sweater, while heels make things more formal. In the middle are boots — ankle boots, cowboy boots, tall boots, etc., each add a different dimension to a sweater outfit.
- Use color thoughtfully. Play with monochrome ensembles and bold color combinations. Use a color palette generator online for ideas!
Wrapping it up
Have fun creating wool sweater outfits this season. Whether you like the classy monochrome vibe or prefer quirky and colorful, there are many ways to use your favorite knits stylishly — especially this year, when the trends are inviting you to prioritize comfort. Enjoy it!