The Budget Fashionista Summer, 2017 Shopper Survey gaged self-identified budget shoppers on how they make purchase decisions and where they prefer to shop. The majority of the survey’s 100 respondents admitted to not having an established clothing budget — instead, they rely on a sense of need to keep their fashion purchases in check.
Other insights from the survey include:
- Respondents gave a slight preference to shopping in-store versus online.
- Thrift stores, Amazon and Kohl’s are the top three places to shop amongst this demographic.
- Among shoes, pants, blouses and handbags, respondents will accept higher price points on handbags, followed by shoes, pants and blouses.
- 50% of respondents only buy garments when they need them. 30% of respondents buy clothes when they want, until they feel they’ve spent too much.
- 50% of respondents look for sales and discounts while they’re shopping online, but only 34% admitted to doing so while shopping in-store.
- Respondents prefer email and store websites as channels to keep them informed of sales, discounts and coupons.
The online survey consisted of eight questions, with a mix of multiple choice and open-ended formats. The 100 respondents were recruited by email, social media and website intercept. Website intercept on thebudgetfashionista.com delivered more than 80% of total respondents.
Survey completion time was estimated to be 3 minutes, and respondents were given an entry into a $100 gift card giveaway in return for their participation.
Shopper Survey Detailed Results
Question 1. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: I consider myself a budget fashionista.
|Neither Agree nor Disagree||7|
Question 2. In the past year, when shopping for clothes for yourself, have you made more purchases online or in-person?
|About the same||17|
Question 3. In the past year, at which store have you most often purchased clothes and accessories for yourself?
The top responses to this open-ended question were:
- Thrift stores
Question 4. Thinking about your clothing purchases in the past year, what do you typically pay for pants, blouses, shoes and handbags?
|Less than $30||29||48||2||11|
|$120 or more||6||1||11||28|
Question 5. Please select the statement that best describes how you budget for clothes.
|I do not have an established clothes budget, but I only buy things when I really need them.||50|
|I do not have an established clothes budget. I shop when I want to, until I feel like I’ve spent too much.||30|
|I have a set clothes budget.||13|
Question 6. Thinking about when you’ve shopped online for clothes in the past year, please select the statement that best describes your use of sales, discounts and coupons.
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons while I’m shopping online for clothes.||50|
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons first, before I decide to shop online.||28|
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons after I decide to shop online, but before I’ve actually started browsing.||15|
|I don’t look for sales, coupons and discounts for online clothing purchases.||7|
Question 7. Thinking about when you’ve shopped in person for clothes in the past year, please select the statement that best describes your use of sales, discounts and coupons.
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons while I’m shopping in-person for clothes.||34|
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons first, before I decide to go shopping.||29|
|I look for sales, discounts and coupons after I decide to shop, but before I leave the house.||23|
|I don’t look for sales, coupons and discounts for in-person clothing purchases.||14|
Question 8. How do you prefer to stay informed about sales at your preferred clothing retailers? Please rank the choices below in order of your preference.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- The Iconic Label Born at the Family’s Kitchen Table - October 10, 2018
- How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness This October - October 3, 2018
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018