Thank you to Jord Watches for collaborating and providing the Fieldcrest wood watch featured in this post.
I know you’ve seen them: wood watches have been dazzling the wrists of stylish people since 2016. Maybe it started as a trend, but all signs say the wood watch is here to stay.
Now the only question is this. Where does a wooden watch fit into my wardrobe?
The Wood Watch — Elevated Casual
In a perfect world, most women can use three different watches in their accessory collection:
- a sport watch, Apple Watch or fitness tracker
- a wood watch
- a sleek metal watch
A wood watch operates squarely in the elevated casual space — it’s dressier than sweatpants but not as formal as an LBD.
That means you probably won’t wear your wooden timepiece to the gym or to a wedding. But it’s a fabulous choice for almost everything in between. Daytime dates, meeting the in-laws, shopping with the girls, dinner with friends — all of these are opportunities to slip on a chunky wooden watch. And, if your office isn’t ultra conservative, you can easily wear that watch to the office, too.
Wood Watch Styling Tips
Wood watches have an organic feel to them, so they naturally work well with any outfit that has a festival or earthy vibe — think kimonos, rompers, espadrilles, subtle fringe detail and the like. They can also function as tone-setters, dressing up very casual outfits or dressing down an ensemble that feels more formal.
If your regular wardrobe is on the fancier side, choose a wood watch with a sleeker design and darker finish. Personally, I wanted something on the casual side of the spectrum, so I chose Jord’s Fieldcrest style for its maple finish, larger face and chunkier band.
To stack or not to stack
Wood watches can be included in a bracelet stack stylishly, although I prefer to let my watch stand on its own. If you do like to stack, try subtle beads and colorful woven pieces as your accents. Avoid cuff bracelets and solid metal pieces as these will overshadow your timepiece and may scratch it, too.
10 Wood Watch Outfit Ideas
It’s fairly easy to loop a wooden timepiece into your regular outfit rotation. To prove it, here’s a list of ensembles that would look fabulous with a wooden watch.
- Jeans, sweater, kitten heels, mixed media shoulder bag
- Jeans, t-shirt, kimono
- Cropped pants, button-down top, loafers, belt
- Sundress, light cardigan, sandals
- High-waisted shorts, tucked-in blouse, sneakers
- Floral romper, gladiator sandals
- Maxi dress, statement sunglasses, flat-soled sandals and stud earrings
- Trousers, oxford shirt, loafers
- Off-shoulder top, skinny jeans, wedges
- Skirt, t-shirt, unbuttoned lightweight flannel, block heels
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- Casual Outfit for Petites—Under $150 - November 16, 2019
- It’s Time! Your Once-Annual Chance To Save Big on This Celebrity-Favorite Brand - November 15, 2019
- Shop Well and for Good: These Are The Gift Guides We’re Shopping Now - November 12, 2019