It’s no question if you’ll be sporting Chelsea boots this autumn, but more a question of which. The staple that overtook riding boots as the new favorite is not only It Girl-approved by the likes of Alexa Chung and Selena Gomez–but most importantly, it suits every age group. The gender-neutral silhouettes serve as a blank slate for fierce feminine looks, boyfriend-inspired ensembles and everything in between.
Chelsea Boots: Old-World Roots
Comfy and refined, the ankle-height Chelsea boot typically features a thin heel and elastic sides for polished, down-to-earth styling that can be dressed up or worn casually, depending on occasion.
Its original roots lay in the Victorian era, where men and women both wore the boot as traditional garb. Then, it experienced a revival in the ’60s, becoming a quintessential part of Britain’s mod scene and dress code. The boot is believed to be named after Chelsea, the home of King’s Road, a popular street that spawned plenty of fashion trends and designer names during the times of swinging London and beyond.
The Modern Reboot
While the Chelsea has always been loved for its classic appearance, like many modern shoe trends, the draw of the old essential’s reboot is fueled by all sorts of contemporary details and touches. Today’s shopper has an endless stream of Chelsea boots to choose from:
- A fresh palette of hues that update basic black and chocolate brown pairs,
- Boots that substitute rubber construction for leather in a stab at rain-friendly iterations
- Boldly embellished numbers that jazz up ordinary silhouette
Snag an everyday option, a statement-maker and a weather-friendly pick all at once flipping through this guide to the season’s best styles. Eliminating the need to shop and seek out the trend shoe all over the place, we’ve culled the cutest pairs into one smart gallery. Are you game to rock any of these trendy pairs this season?
Latest posts by Melissa (see all)
- All Ears: How to Make Your Outfits Look More Expensive, Instantly - February 4, 2018
- Turn Red Carpet Style into V-Day Glamour - February 2, 2018
- The Ultra Violet Color Wave and 5 Ways to Wear It - January 16, 2018