There are few things that are as functional as underwear, which can also be an expression of your fashion sense–even if you’re the only one who sees it. So we’ve picked out some of our favorite underwear brands (on a budget, of course).
Underwear Buying Tips
- Buy in bulk. When you’re shopping for skivvies, keep in mind that you’ll probably end up with the best deal if you buy in bulk, even in boutiques.
- Look for a cotton crotch. This comes directly from our gynecologist, a short Haitian woman who has practiced for close to 40 years (that’s a lot of va-jay-jays). We do everything she says.
- Buy flesh-colored skivvies. We’ve seen London. We’ve seen France. We really don’t want to see your underpants, so please spend a majority of your undergarment dollars on flesh-colored panties.
- Shop off-priced. Yeah, we love Hanky Panky panties as much as the next girl, but 30 bucks for a pair of underwear is simply ridiculous. Head to your local Marshalls, T.J.Maxx, or Ross (which has great undergarments) and scoop up a pair of cute undies for well under $5.
Check out our picks for the five best underwear brands on a budget.
Best Underwear on a Budget
Date Night Underwear: Victoria’s Secret
Victoria’s Secret has a pretty saucy reputation, but don’t count it out if you consider yourself more demure. The cotton prints and solids are just 5 for $25.50 (or $9.50-$10.50 each) and come in a variety of cuts, which are also super-flattering under clothing. Turn up the sexiness quotient with options such as lace backs and lower rises.
Comfy Underwear: Hanes
For more than 100 years, Hanes has been making underwear for men and women. The super-comfortable classic white briefs, bikinis, hi-cuts, boy shorts, hipsters and thongs can be bought in packs of three (for $9) or six (for $11) at Target or Wal-Mart. Look for no-ride-up, comfort waistbands in breathable materials.
Everyday Underwear: Jockey
Jockey has come a long way from its line of uncool briefs. They’ve struck a balance between feminine and practical. From thongs to boy shorts and everything in between, there are dozens of patterns such as dots, paisley and leaves. The brands come in variety packs of three for $19.50 or $22.50 at full price, but you can often find them on sale
Sweet Underwear Sets: Aerie
Some of us insist on matching your bra or camisole to your undies. If you like to buy sets, American Eagle’s line Aerie has very pretty options. The lightly-padded bras offer plenty of support, and then you have a few options in underwear styles to match up with them.
Shaper: Assets by Sara Blakely
If you like a little bit of hold and shaping in your everyday underwear, Assets, the less-expensive line from the founder of Spanx, will really stretch your dollar. Support levels range from medium for a sheer panty ($24), to super for a basic style ($14), to a lace-trimmed cheek peek ($22), to total waist control in a panty that pulls up to your bra strap ($23).
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- Dinner Outfit for the Rectangle — Under $150 - December 7, 2019
- This Luxury Gift Will Wow Beauty Addicts for Less Than $50 - November 29, 2019
- Office Party Outfit for the Hourglass—Under $150 - November 29, 2019