So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
What to Avoid at the Dollar Store
ShopSmart tested these items in their labs and found many of them fell short of safety standards.
* Dangers to Kids: Even with warning labels, party favors and toys with small parts should be avoided as they can become lodged in a child’s throat. Also avoid bottles containing potentially harmful substances. For example, bubble-blowing liquid in containers that look like soda bottles and baby bottles, do not have a label to identify the liquid for Poison Control in case a child drinks it.
* Fire Hazards: Skip tiki torches (they can catch on fire) and utility lighters (even if they have a “child-proof” latch). Novelty lighters can also be a hazard if they are mistaken as a toy.
* Electrical Products: Extension cords, lamps and other items may have fake UL labels vouching for their safety.
* Medication: Aspirin and other meds can be on shelves long past their expiration date.
* Vitamins: Some dollar store multis do not have the amount of nutrients listed on the label.
* Kids’ Jewelry: Older products containing high lead content might still be sold in dollar stores, even though they were recalled in recent years.