At first I thought it was just me, but a few friends have confirmed – 2013 is the summer of stripes! Shorts, dresses, shirts and tanks: stripe is the word. Per the usual with any fad that trends on animal (in this case – zebra and bee) or has the potential for accentuating the wrong curves, I hesitate: Can anyone just wear stripes? Are they best when kept to just one component (i.e. a shirt or a scarf) or is it possible to get away with wearing the pattern on an entire ensemble?
Field research says yes. Everyone can wear stripes, and from head-to-toe if you do them right. Here are the shops that sell the best way to flaunt the lined look.
How to Rock Those Stripes AND Stay on Budget!
1. Francesca’s: A total gem, while there is a Francesca’s a few miles away from me, everything is also available online. A master at fit, texture, and flattery, during my last shopping spree I found this striped tank for $34. The length (hip) is ideal for elongating, and I swear the vertical stripes took off a few inches from my sides.
2. Old Navy: For some reason, whenever I think stripes my mind immediately goes to Old Navy. Perhaps it’s the name, but more likely it’s the fact that ON does striped items really well. From pin to thick (and at amazing prices) you can get several pieces and accessories for a lot less than you’d spend anywhere else. Since I’ve been obsessed with Maxi dresses lately, check out this candy-striped one for $25.
3. Victoria’s Secret: VS loves women in stripes. I love the VS sale – this summer, I got my bikini at VS for under $30 and totally went for the bright stripes. Check out this bright number for under $30 – and as every lady knows, VS can make any stripe look like a model.
4. JCrew: Give you feet a little attention and go striped and sleek with a pair of striped flip-flops from JCrew. Nautical and only $26.50, this pair will last all summer.
5. Polyvore: Looking for something to shield the sun? Look no further – here is a entire listing of sunglasses dedicated to stripes. I’m obsessed with the rainbow ones from Nordstroms for $38.
Tell us, what are your favorite ways to wear summer stripes?