The Twin Cities is the home of Prince, the Mall of America, cold weather and the best shopping in the Upper Midwest. It’s also my hometown. Whether it’s Saks Fifth Avenue in downtown Minneapolis or the Outlet Mall in Albertville, Minneapolis has enough shopping to satisfy the most discriminating fashionista. Here’s my tips for shopping the Twin Cities.
Minneapolis Shopping Tips
- Shop downtown – Downtown Minneapolis boasts two of the best outlet stores in town- Off Fifth, the Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet and Last Call, the Neiman Marcus Outlet.
- Check the temperature and plan accordingly – There are two seasons in Minnesota: cold and colder. Check the weather before coming, and dress accordingly.
- Head uptown – Scandinavian sensibility meets urban flair with a wide range of boutiques and great restaurants (Figlio is a favorite). Stop by Ragstock, a vintage seeker’s delight, located a block west of Hennepin Avenue on Lake Street. If you have time visit their warehouse location downtown.
- Rent a car – There are no major shopping malls within the city limits. You need a car to scope out the hot spots. However, if you are staying downtown, you can easily get uptown via the bus system, or the Mall of America via the newly installed light rail.
- Visit the Mall of America – MOA, as it is called by the locals, is like your local mall on steroids. Don’t expect to find high fashion – but you will find an IKEA and four Gaps.
- Bring your checkbook – Minneapolis is one of the only places left where the stores will take a check.
- Pick up a copy of City Pages – This alternative paper has the most comprehensive listing of activities in the area. Plus, it’s free. Also check out the Minneapolis Star and Tribune.
- Go to Target – It’s big. It’s red. It’s nationwide. Visit the store in its hometown.
- No sales tax – The great state of Minnesota levies no sales tax on necessities such as clothing and groceries, leaving you more money to spend at the Mall.
- Don’t miss the local malls – Minneapolis has great local malls. Visit Southdale, in Edina – the first enclosed mall in America.
Minneapolis’s Top Shop
Address: 4320 Excelsior Blvd, St. Louis Park, MN (right outside of Minneapolis)
Monday-Wednesday: 12-8pm, Thursday-Friday: 10am-8pm, Saturday 10am-6pm, Sunday 12-5pm
The best bargain hunters in Minneapolis are frequent vistors to this designer outlet mecca. Find incredible bargains like Marc Jacobs Stella bags for $200 and Manolos for $75 (true, I’ve seen the prices with my own eyes!). Sign up online to receive emails and listings for upcoming designer events.
More Minneapolis Information
- Albertville Premium Outlet – A great outlet mall in the middle of farm country.
- Minneapolis Star Tribune – Main newspaper of the Twin Cities
- Mall of America – Your local mall on steroids
- Tourist Attractions – Sick of the mall? Learn what else to do.
- General Mills – Take a free tour and score a sample box of Cheerios.
Wanna Share a Shopping Tip for Minneapolis/St.Paul? Post it in the comment section below.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- The Iconic Label Born at the Family’s Kitchen Table - October 10, 2018
- How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness This October - October 3, 2018
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018