Our content contains affiliate links, so know that we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
Do wear sneaks, ankle boots or angular, pointed-toe heels
Have fun with your shoe choice! Joggers are super-versatile, and can really highlight a statement shoe. Here are some options to try.
- Sneaks: Vans, Converse, Stan Smiths all work well.
- Heels: A pointy, angular heel is a good choice. You can go with a closed toe or even a strappy sandal, as long as you choose sleek over chunky.
- Ankle boots: For an edgier look, wear joggers with a solid ankle boot. Again, sleek styles will be your go-to here. This combo is most successful with a jogger that’s close fitting around the calf.
Do select tops that are a soft, flowy fabric and contrasting color
Matchy tops paired with joggers look like pajama sets or sweatsuits. And those aren’t the looks you want. Instead, keep your look tidy with a contrasting top in a lightweight fabric. A simple white t-shirt made of a rayon blend will do! The give of the fabric balances the heavier cotton of a standard jogger, while nodding to your feminine side.
Do tuck or half-tuck tops that land past the jogger waistline
You do want to highlight your waist when wearing joggers. The right top follows the shape of your upper body and lands at the waistline. If the shirt is slim fit but too long, you can fix that with a tuck or half-tuck — as long as the fabric isn’t bulky.
Do pair joggers with a long, sleek cardigan, fitted hoodie or structured denim jacket
Your choice of outerwear is important. Because the jogger silhouette is roomy, the style looks best with outerwear that adds definition and structure to your shape. A bulky sweatshirt won’t do that — but a long cardigan, fitted hoodie or denim jacket will.
Don’t wear a crop top (unless you have unreal abs)
The Internet is loaded with images of amazingly thin women wearing their joggers with crop tops. This is a look that’s used to sell joggers…and it’s very hard to pull off. Stay away from this pairing unless:
- you are a professional athlete (can I get an autograph?) and
- you have super-toned, tan abs and
- it’s warm enough outside to justify the crop
Otherwise, keep the midriff covered.
Don’t wear distressed joggers
Joggers with torn knees just don’t work. If you want your knees to peek out, choose jeans instead.
Don’t tuck your joggers into boots.
Tucking joggers into boots does away with the sleek tapered leg shape, and will usually cause the pant to bunch up around the top of the boot. Leggings or skinny pants are a better option with tall boots that require tucking.
How are you wearing your joggers? Let us know in the comments!