Don’t show too much skin.
The two primary ways we see boyfriend jeans gone wrong are:
- The jeans are so ripped up that it’s not clear how they’re staying together.
- The jeans are paired with a very tight, very tiny top.
Moral of the story: err on the conservative side here. If you want to show off your legs, wear a short skirt instead. If you want to show off your abs, put on that bikini and head to the beach.
Don’t pair boyfriend jeans with flannel.
If you’re older than 13, the flannel-top-and-boyfriend-jean combo usually looks a little silly. We’re not saying you couldn’t pull it off, but it’s a challenging look for an adult.
Don’t actually wear your boyfriend’s jeans.
When I was in high school (in the ’80s mind you), jeans were pretty much all tight and high-waisted. I wanted a different look, so I bought a pair of white Levis in the same size my dad wore. I tried to cinch them up with a belt, roll them up at the ankle and wear them with Vans. Now I thought this was a cool look at the time, but a picture from those days proves otherwise. (An early budget fashionista fail!)
It’s not likely that your SO (or your dad) will be the right size for you. Plus, there are so many affordable options made for women that you don’t need to force it.
How to Wear Boyfriend Jeans — 5 Fun Outfit Ideas
Now that you know the rules, here are five outfit ideas to inspire you!
- The Professional: Dark-wash boyfriend jeans + crisp white top + belt+ long blazer + pumps
- All Smiles and Sunshine: Boyfriend jeans + floral blouse, tucked in + block heels + big, bright purse
- Off-Duty Model: Boyfriend jeans + t-shirt with a fun saying on it + ankle boots + scarf + satchel (bonus points if you can carry a small dog around in that satchel…just kidding!)
- This Old Thing?: Boyfriend jeans + solid-colored t-shirt + thick belt + beanie + pumps
- Denim x 2: Boyfriend jeans + canvas sneakers + denim button-down top + belt
How do you wear boyfriend jeans? Let us know in the comments!