After we completed this DIY picture holder project, we stared at it admiringly for about 30 minutes before we tore ourselves away from it to, you know, live our lives. That’s how much we enjoyed it.
We all love quirky ways to display our precious photographs. And, the picture frame is a little boring, don’t you think? When we were idly flipping through the book Woman’s Day: Cool Crafts, we came across the “recipe” for the flower pot picture holder. We gasped and ran to the crafts store to pick up the supplies. We made a few alterations in the materials and the process — here’s our version! Enjoy!
Small terracotta flower pot
Shredded brown paper, for the “dirt”
Styrofoam cube or circle
Wooden dowel (aka sticks) (2)
Flower shape wooden cut out (4)
Acrylic craft paint (Green and a second of your choice for the flower)
Cardstock or construction paper (green)
Small magnets with adhesive backing (8)
How to do it:
1. Using the saw, cut the dowels into thirds.
2. Paint the dowels green and stick in the Styrofoam cube to dry. Paint the flower shapes whatever color you chose and leave them to dry.
3. Take care of odds and ends while the paint is drying–tie the ribbon around the terracotta pot. Cut out leaves from the green paper.
4. Glue a piece of the dowel to the back of each flower. Hold it down tightly until it’s a bit firm.
5. Glue the leaves in whatever pattern you choose to the “stems” of the flowers.
6. Let the glue dry. If your glue isn’t working, resort to small pieces of heavy duty tape on the backs.
7. Stick the adhesive back of the magnets to the back of each flower. You should a pair of magnets to each flower.
8. Insert your flowers into the Styrofoam cube, and place it all in the terracotta pot.
9. Stuff the “dirt” into the empty spaces of the flower pot.
10. Select photographs and place them in between the two magnets on each flower.
Our flower pot brightens up our family room and guests have been commenting on it. We’re planning on making several more for different rooms of the house and possibly to give away as gifts! Here is our final product. We hope you have fun creating yours!
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- The Iconic Label Born at the Family’s Kitchen Table - October 10, 2018
- How To Support Breast Cancer Awareness This October - October 3, 2018
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018