Dear Budget Fashionista,
I just love this site! I have checked it daily for years now! Help—I am a petite bottom (size 12-14) and regular on top (size large or 12). I carry excess weight in my stomach and always have a pooch. When I try on the new styles that are tight in the ribcage and more flowy below, I think I look pregnant. Same with tunics. Summer is approaching and I hate to layer too much in the summer (I live in Texas). What type of tops should I be looking for?
Fashion Tips for those with Tummies
Don’t fret, there’s plenty of options for those of us with a bit of a tummy. Follow these fashion tips below.
1. Show Some Skin. The more skin you show, the thinner you look. Why? Because the eye travels to where the skin is at. So wearing a tank top (unless you have flabby arms like me) or a low-cut top will actually draw the eye towards your toned arms and sexy bustline, rather than your midsection.
2. Go For the “V.” Look for cotton tops with either a v-neck with a bit of stretch (two to three percent Lycra content) in a solid color.
3. Work the Pattern. Choose patterns that are in scale with your body (contrary to popular belief, patterns can be flattering–just make sure they’re not too small or too big. I.e, if you have bigger features go for a bigger print, and if you have smaller features go for a smaller print).
4. Dress Monochromatically. Dressing monochromatically–black and black, blue and blue, pink and pink–can help distract from your midsection.
Credit: Saks Fifth Avenue
5. Discover the powers of ruching. Ruching is the scrunching of fabrics into folds, usually around your midsection. The folding camouflages any “lumps” around your middle section.
Last but not least, you can also wear a pair of tummy-control panties or a pair of Spanx–not the best option during a hot summer, but an option nonetheless.
Latest posts by Catherine Brock (see all)
- How to Find Wide Calf Boots + Top Picks - September 14, 2018
- Mom Break! 5 Ways to Pamper Yourself When Kids Go Back to Class - August 23, 2018
- Beauty Supplements: Are They Worth It? - August 21, 2018