So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
It’s the first few weeks of January, otherwise known as Resolution Season in most households, and if I had to wage a bet, I’d say Save More Money is high up on the list. However, it’s also that time of year when our wardrobes are just about to switch closets and really, while I want to be thrifty, the last thing I want to do is look cheap. Here are five fashion New Year’s resolutions for 2013 so you can stay within your budget and look good:
Fashion New Year’s Resolutions List
1. Trade it in. Or sell then buy – take all gently used clothes to local consignment shops OR, even better, do it from the comfort of your new home. One website that lets you buy and sell your clothes is Twice. Think the fun of a consignment shop plus the ease of online shopping. Every little bit counts, so even if you spend more than you buy it will at least lower the impact on your wallet.
2. Versatile pieces. Some of the best investments are those where you get your use – so, when buying this year, spend more on items that you can use in many different ways. My favorite is the convertible dress, which apparently you can wear 15 different ways! Try this one from Nordstrom’s by TwoBirds.
3. Timeless accessories. These will last a lifetime, and are intended to go well with everything. Pick wisely, and you’ll find yourself collecting instead of trashing over time. Anthropologie tends to have a nice line that is well-made and blendable with most trends and looks.
4. Keep it Simple. Have you noticed how it’s easy to get caught up on ALL the different looks per season? But really, how many of them do you end up actually wearing? Know your look and stick to it. I’m a business-casual type gal who lives at the beach, so stocking up on high heels and down vests to match that look I saw in a NY-based magazine isn’t the best use of my cash.
5. Organize your closet. As weird as it sounds, think about it: how many times have you come home with a shopping bag just to realize that yes, you DO actually own a magenta sweater but it has really just been in the hamper for the past week. So, keep your closet organized and I recommend checking it prior to shopping – you’ll save time and money.