Est. reading time: 3 minute(s). So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy 🙂 !
Dear Budget Fashionista,
I really need your help. Even though I wear a clothing size 12, I have VERY wide calves (plus size- about the size of someone who wears a size 16 to 18). I would love to be able to to find a stylish pair of wide calf boots to wear this winter. Help!
Answer: Finding awesome wide calf boots is a common problem facing many women- not just plus size women. Muscle-bound fashionistas also have a hard time findingboots that fit their wider calves. Fortunately, there’s a ton of options, especially if you’re willing to turn your search for wide calf boots online.
Next Page: Tips for finding wide calf boots…
How to Find Wide Calf Boots
I believe that having shapely, feminine legs is totally a good thing, but I also know that having wide calfs can be a major pain. Skinny jeans don’t fit right, and worst of all, it’s tough to find a pair of boots that fit without cutting off your circulation. Here are a few pointers on finding boots to fit your wide calves:
1. Have your feet and calves accurately measured to ensure a proper fit. And yes, you can have your calves measured.
2. Try on the boots with what you’ll be wearing them with most often. If you plan on pairing yours with jeans, wear your skinnies while you shop. If you want to dress them up with tights and a skirt, step into the store wearing that outfit.
3. Don’t be afraid to shop online, as many retailers and designers offer a plethora of wide calf boots at great prices. Just make sure the description says “wide calf” and make sure to check the description to see the circumference of the boot shaft (look for shafts of 15 inches+). n Don’t just guess based on the photo.
4. A shoemaker may be able to stretch a leather boot an inch or two for added comfort, but don’t buy one that doesn’t get over your calf in hopes of a cobbler making it fit. You should already be able to get the boot on and zip it up, but a professional can give you a more comfortable fit.
5. Try boots that combine leather with a stretchy fabric in order to give you more room. Brands like Flip Flop, Stuart Weitzman, Munro, and Steve Madden all have versions of the stretchy fabric + leather boot combo.
Now that you have tips for finding awesome wide calf boots, check out some of our favorite picks on the next page…
Where to Find Wide Calf Boots
Your best bet for wide calf boots is to try online stores like Barefoot tess, DSW online, Lane Bryant and Zappos, who also have a solid collection of wide calf boots. When shopping in your local mall, look for boots with stretchy materials like micro-suede and for slouchy styles that tend to a bit roomer in the calves.
Where to find Wide Calf boots on the Cheap
Looking for a solid pair of wide calf boots for under $100, try stores like Avenue, Burlington Coat factory and Payless. Most will NOT be made of leather, but you can find some solid pleather and micro suede options. Also try Victoria’s Secret, their private label Colin Stuart has cute wide calf boots for around the $100 mark (but again, probably not leather)