This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
Hit or Miss at the Dollar Store
These items tend to be similarly priced at the dollar store and other retail locations.
* Birthday Candles: Some dollar stores had the cheapest price while others had the highest.
* Brown Paper Bags: Dollar stores tied with most other stores except CVS, which charged more.
* Composition Notebooks: Find these for 1 cent per page at dollar, discount and grocery stores.
* 16 Ounce Plastic Cups: Prices at dollar stores were among the cheapest at 5 cents per cup, but these cups could be found for a good price elsewhere.
* Napkins: At ½ cent per napkin, they are cheap at many stores.
* Security Envelopes: Most stores sold a box of 40 for 1 dollar, so buy these anyplace except CVS which charges 6 cents per envelope.
* Foam Plates: 8- or 9-inch foam places could be found for about 3 cents a plate.