It’s spring and most of us are starting to prepare for the big closet change-over. I started last week and I have a ton of things I’m selling on eBay and via my secret consignment shop weapon. As always, I double check to make sure I have at least these ten basic things in my wardrobe.
There are ten things every Budget Fashionista must have in her closet.
- Black Suit. Either matching black skirt or black pants. Made out rayon material.
- White Cotton Dress Shirt. This is an important closet staple and can be both trendy (wear underneath your favorite t-shirt) and classic (wear it with a business suit).
- The Perfect Pair of Jeans. A great fitting par of jeans should be standard in every closet. Two pairs are even better. You don’t have to spend a small fortune for these. Both the Faded Glory (Wal-Mart) and the Rider brand (Target and Wal-Mart) are great-fitting jeans that cost less than $30.
- Pair of Plain Black Pumps. A pair of 1 to 2 inch plain black pumps can take you from the office to dinner.
- Black Dress.A closet staple, the dress should be made of a sturdy, but lightweight fabric like cotton/rayon blend. Avoid heavy wool fabrics which counteract the slimming effects of the color.
- T-shirts. Black, white, and a fun color. Perfect for layering as well as wearing alone, these shirts help stretch your closet way beyond its limits. Make sure the t-shirts all have 1-2% spandex/lyrca content which helps the shirts maintain their shapes. The Old NavyPerfect Fit stretch t-shirts are the best.
- Tote Bag. Serves double duty as a briefcase during the week and a shopping bag during the weekends.
- Pair of Sneakers. One pair of sneakers that could also be worn both to workout in and for casual days like shopping.
- Trench Coat/All-Weather Coat. Wear it as a coat or a dress. Look for a version with removable lining so that you increase usage.
- Khaki/ Chinos/Brown Pants. A weekend staple, these pants add diversity to your outfits.