Still wearing black eyeliner for every event, season and mood? I was, too, until it felt, well, boring. To liven up my look, I started wearing colored eyeliner and I’m thrilled to report: I’m in love. I’m able to brighten up my look without looking like a showgirl or like I just stepped out of the 80s.
I admit, switching from black made me nervous. Would wearing colored eyeliner make it appear like I was trying to relive my high school years or taking up clown lessons? Then I remembered my “who says?” rule (who says wearing patent leather shoes with a patent leather purse is a no-no? Who says wearing white after Labor Day is a horror of horrors?) and got my bold on. Have no fear. Who says ladies should avoid or worry about wearing colored eyeliner?
Tips for Wearing Colored Eyeliner
1. Check out this awesome youtube tutorial on how to use colored eyeliner
2. . Know what colors work for your eye color. Finding green eyeliner that perfectly matches an emerald sweater may make us feel like we hit the color wheel jackpot, but let this be more about the color of eyes rather than our clothes. Eyes can stand out with the right colored liner, so stick with this rule of thumb:
- Brown eyes (lucky ladies: most shades work nicely with brown or hazel eyes): purples, blues
- Blue eyes: pinks, bronze, copper
- Green eyes: lavender, plum
3. Be yourself. While the eyes of that supermodel on every other magazine page may be intriguing, ask yourself: would I wear the look to work? To the store? Be realistic with your style and don’t force a teal and orange cat eye if it’s not your thing. “When I’m feeling more daring,” Beauchamp says, “I may mix purple and green to create a turquoise color.” Know what works for you and stay within your comfort zone.