This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
We picked through the good, the bad and the just plain ugly. The lowdown on what’s hot and shot for summer 2011 swimwear.
1. Cutaways that look like a bikini from the front but cover the back
2. Skirtinis and skorts
3. Tunics, kaftans, pareos and dresses as cover-ups
5. Batik and paisley (global-inspired)
6. 50s pin-up girl looks (twisted bandeaus and one-pieces, ruching on the bodice, polka dots)
7. Gelato shades (from chocolate and pistachio to lemon and cherry)
8. Arts ‘n crafts: crochet, embroidery, appliqué, beading, ribbons and eyelet
9. Metallic fabrics
10. Sailor stripes and nautical theme
1. Animal Print Overkill. If you’ve got a zebra suit, tone it down with a sheer black caftan; pair a leopard-print top with a chocolate brown or black bottom. Never mix animal prints (e.g., combining cheetah, snake and tiger).
2. T-shirts as cover-ups. It tells everyone you’ve got something to hide.
3. Flimsy, sheer suit fabrics. Great… for wet-T-shirt contests.
4. Wearing your Burberry plaid from head to toe. Instead try a signature piece (e.g., a designer logo tank with solid, unmarked bottoms).
5. Thongs and g-strings. Out of the question if you have any cellulite -– as Star magazine has shown us, even skinny Paris Hilton’s got no business flaunting her rear assets on the beach.
6. Tiny triangle bikini tops. Support that bust.
7. The skimpy stuff. This season’s look offers more to the imagination.
8. Tube tops and bandeaus. If you’re well -endowed these tops will make it look like you have a uni-boob.
9. Stuffing yourself into a black suit. Try color-blocking and tricot (slenderizing) fabrics.
10. Over bling. Choose shells, coral and wooden beads instead.