They say that necessity is the mother of invention, but being broke is the mother of reinvention and one thing on the verge of being reinvented are wigs as a fashion trend.
Why are wigs going tomake a comeback? Well.. regardless of your ethnic background, getting your hair “did” is expensive- in most cities a cut starts at $20, relaxers and blow outs at $40, and weavers and braids $100 and up. Women are already starting to cut back on beauty services. Wigs offer an easy, cost effective alternative to frequent trips to the beauty salon.
Before you go wig shopping, here’s some tips:
- Get over your wig-phobia. Wigs are no longer the domain of your grandma and the crazy lady on the corner. In fact you would be very surprised by the the number of people you know who wear wigs. Tyra Banks, Oprah, etc all wear what is called lace front wigs.
- If you’re a first timer, head to an establish wig shop- ask friends, family members or find them by typing in the words “wig and your city” into google. The reason why you want to go an established shop is that they will help you select the correct wig for your face shape as well as teach you how to place it correctly on your head (believe me it is not as easy as you think).
- Purchase a wig cap. A wig cap is a nylon/mesh, which can be purchased at your local wig shop for $1-$2, that flattens your own hair so the wig “sits” better on your head.
- When possible, purchase human hair. It’s more expensive, but it lasts longer, is easier to style and you can use regular style tools like flat irons, curling irons, etc without melting the hair. If you are unable to purchase then look for a wig made out of 100% Kanelklon, which is high quality, human like, hair.
- If your wig has a part, make sure it has a “false” scalp, that is the same color as your natural scalp.
- Never, ever, ever, claim that the wig is your real hair.
Some styles to try:
- Chic bob from The Beverly Johnson Line, for $38 at wigs.com
- Long contemporary wig by Forever Young for $44.95 at voguewigs.com
- Layered, tousled look by Forever Young for $49.95 at voguewigs.com
- An affordable human hair wig by Motown Tess for $52.00 at Wilshire Wigs
So, would you wear a wig? For those who do, what are your wig tips?