One of our favorite picnic-friendly foods is Barefoot Contessa’s curried couscous, with our own little additions. Often we just mix in leftover vegetables (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower) or whatever is on hand that would taste good. And don’t fret about the curry, even curry haters love this salad.
1 ½ cups of couscous
1 tablespoon of butter
¼ cup of plain yogurt
¼ cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of curry powder
¼ of ground tumeric
1 ½ teaspoons of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of ground pepper
1 cup of leftover chicken chopped
½ cup of dried cherries (we love cherry-flavored cranberries, they are less expensive, chock full of healthy vitamins, and tasty)
¼ cup of chopped green onions
¼ cup of almonds
½ cup of shredded carrots
1. Mix 1 ½ cups of boiling water to 1 ½ cups of couscous. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. For added flavor using chicken stock instead of water.
2. Mix in the tablespoon of butter and fluff with a fork.
3. Wisk together yogurt, olive oil, vinegar, curry, tumeric, salt and pepper.
4. Pour over curry and mix well.
5. Add the chicken, cherries, onions, almonds and carrots. Mix well and season to taste.
6. This salad tastes best served at room temperature, so you can pack it and eat it right away.