It’s the beginning of the year and many of us are starting to take stock of our finances. For those of us who are shocked to find that we’ve racked up massive debt over the past few months, here are some really simple tips to get you on the path to debt relief.
- Stop Spending. Sounds really simple, but I’m always amazed at the number of people who say they want to get out of debt, but still spend like a millionaire.
- Get Three Months of Bank and Credit Card Statements. Head online or to your bank branch and get three months worth of statements. Set up a budget sheet and record everything that you spent so you can have a complete picture of what’s coming in and what’s going out.
- Take stock of what you can cut out. Do you really need HBO? Or that morning latte? Or a closet full of designer purses?
- Take stock of what you can sell. Have a fur? Sell it. An expensive car or lease? Try and trade it in.
- Look for other ways to make money Turn your hobby like quilting, party planning, etc into a side gig. Get a second job, and if you have teenage kids, you might want them to get a job as well.