This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
By now, you’ve probably heard several lectures on the evils of purchasing knock-off designer bags. On a certain level, buying a knock-off is a bit cheesy, especially when you try to pass it off as the real thing. However, fashion has been knocking off each other since the beginning of style. Remember the Chanel Boucle suit inspired trend of Fall 2003? I distinctly remember Prada, DKNY and even Wal-Mart proudly displaying their version of the classic suit. The major difference between these designers and your favorite stall on Canal Street, is that these pieces don’t have a Chanel label glued inside the jacket. They’re “legit” knock-offs.
Here are some of my favorite places to score legit knock offs
- H&M. This store has been known to copy looks straight off the runways of fashion week.
- Club Monaco. This store carries high quality fashions inspired by the likes of Chanel, Prada, and Armani.
- ABS by Allen Schwartz. ABS copies designer dresses worn by stars at the big award shows and sells them to stores like Macys, Bloomingdales, Smartbargains.com, and Bluefly.com for well below the price of a designer original.
- Payless. This chain store knocks off the biggest mass market trends, like the Ugg boot.
- XOXO. Usually made of pleather or some other man made material, these bag line draws inspiration from Dooney Burke and Marc Jacobs.
- Hype Bags Well made, real leather bags that draws inspiration from designers like Marc Jacobs and Balenciaga.
- As a rule, never to pay more than $40 for a designer inspired bag. With the advent of online outlets like Overstock and Bluefly, you can purchase the real deal for up to 80% off the retail price. Plus, you will be able to wear it with pride, knowing that you have the real thing.