The following is a guest post from our friends at Lucky.
The weather has turned downright chilly in the past few days and I’m looking mournfully at my transitional summer-to-fall wardrobe and thinking it’s time to ramp it up. There’s only one way to transition those fall pieces to winter pieces without freezing your tail off every time you go out–layering. It keeps you in your trench coat long after the temps have dipped below 50, and in your shorts long after your summer tan has faded.
There are five essential items to keep you warm and chic at the same time.
1. Boyfriend Cardigan: J.Crew does the perfect boyfriend cardigan. In wool or cashmere, it is skinny enough to stick under your coat or fur vest, but still gives you that extra layer of warmth.
2. Nubby Tights: I love black tights. They make that scandalously short skirt passable for the office, and they are functional! Throw on Hue’s thick, soft tights, pair them with your summer platforms and a dress, and you’re off.
3. Fur Vest: Whether faux or real, fur is a surefire way to stay warm. Stick your vest over a T-shirt, belt it for a slim silhouette and you’re set. Fabulous Furs does a faux Mongolian lamb vest that had us all swearing it was straight off the Ann Demeulemeester runway.
4. Thigh-High Boots: Gone are the days of Pretty Woman connotations with thigh-high boots. Over-the-knee boots, both flat and high, are a chic way to stay warm and show off your legs, whether in skinny jeans or a cute skirt with tights. Ralph Lauren does a gorgeous black suede high-heeled boot. Jessica Simpson’s line offers a more budget-friendly option.
5. Skinny Shirts: The office was buzzing this morning when word came around that Skinny Shirts had hit the market. These shirts are thin enough to layer under your favorite cashmere sweater, while adding an adorable Peter Pan collar to your ensemble, and they keep you warm to boot! Genius.
For more fashion, beauty, news, and shopping advice, visit Lucky. And here are some other awesome stories -