Dear Budget Fashionista,
I love your site and was wondering if you have any advice or tips for becoming a professional blogger.
Answer: There’s no magic, instant way to become a professional bloggers. I blogged for 2 years before TBF started to really take off. But with hard work and persistence you can make your blog a success. Here’s some tips I’ve learned along the way.
- Be an Original. Read other fashion blogs and do the exact opposite. The celebrity blog has been done and done and done. So have most of the fashion blog topics. At this point in the game, the only way to be a successful blogger in terms of financial success is to be an original.
- Write everyday, twice a day if you can. Write posts that people can use and that people want to link to—limit the personal chatter and focus on providing real information.
- Read blogs about blogs. Read blogs like Problogger.com, Chrisg.com, Dailyblogtips.com, and Techcrunch.com to learn about the tech side of building a professional blog.
- Join a Community. Whether it be Glam, Coutorture or another community. The traffic they generate isn’t going to make you much dough—but it will help you to build relationships with other bloggers.
- Get Media Training. If you really want to be a professional fashion blogger, then you will need to seek and get offline media coverage. I can’t tell you how many times reporters and television producers have told me about how poor bloggers perform in interviews. Learn how to get your message across in 20 words or less, what angles work best for you, etc.
- Learn Search Engine Optimization SEO. Buy Aaron Wall’s SEO Book. It’s the best $79 you’ll ever spend for your blog.
- Buy Your Domain. A-list bloggers own their own domain name. Many folks in the advertising and pr communities use this to determine whether or not you’re a professional.