Budget beauty is essential in this hard economy not only for twenty-somethings, but all of us. Finding what kind of products work just as beautifully on a budget is just as important as finding the clever and often time tested ways to get the same result with much less moolah.
In high school, for example, I bought an expensive mascara. Sheathed in a beautiful torpedo and costing three times as much as my regular mascara, I was sure it would make my eyelashes look crazy good. Instead, they looked exactly the same as they did when I used the bright green tube I’d been using since middle school, via the local Save-On.
11 Great Budget Beauty Tips !
1. To dry your nails super quickly without a nail dryer, spray them with Pam. Works!
2. Body scrub is definitely a product you can make on your own that will work just as well. Add raw sugar with olive oil and lemon and you have a completely effective, sweet body scrub.
3. If your favorite lipstick is blunt, don’t toss it. Scoop out the rest and tap the pigment into a small pot, which you can then apply with a lip brush.
4. Years ago I read in Allure magazine that Cetaphil was a dermatologist secret- extremely cheap and amazingly effective as well as being gentle on all skin types, all of the Cetaphil products are a steal.
5. Apple cider vinegar works great for both skin and hair. For hair, it acts to strip hair of buildup and add shine, perfect for a rinse after product buildup. For skin, it works as a toner.
7. Once I read an interview with a model who said her prettiest makeup routine involved mainly lipstick- she picked a favorite shade of red and applied it to her lips, cheeks and took a tiny spot of color mixed with petroleum jelly and rubbed it in the crease of her eye. Curl eyelashes and add mascara, and you have a cheap and beautiful look.
8. At $6 you cannot beat this eye makeup remover—works perfectly and easily to take of stubborn makeup.
9. As a pre-teen I started taking my mom’s vitamin E and popping one open to use the oil on my chapped lips. Works beautifully and gives your lips a sexy glow.
10. I’ve been using L’Oreal true match foundation since it came out and love it. It’s under $10 and actually covers but without that cakey look we all dread. I have light skin with freckles and it works perfectly, but there is a shade for all skin colors.
11. For nails, this budget trick is so fun—use the bulb end of a bobby pin to create polka dots over a base color for a perfect manicured look!