This has been a week of departures- our beloved Oprah, Paris Hilton’s removal from “It Girl” status, the plus sized Real Housewives of Orange County lady- so I’m happy to write about positive thoughts. Here’s what I’m lovin’ this week.
1. Books: Feminista by Erica Kennedy. Sometimes you just need to escape and since most of us can’t afford a luxury Caribbean vacation, Erica Kennedy’s fun new book Feminista is a great alternative. The book follows Sydney Zamora, celebrity journalist and bitter single as she navigates the New York dating world. Several of Sydney’s crazy adventures are drawn from Erica’s own life as a seasoned journalist. (like Sydney, got her big break when a certain pop god asked for a black writer to interview him). This is a light, quick read that will help you escape any holiday drama and makes an excellent book (and reality check) for any budding fashionista.
2. Beauty: Intelligent Nutrients Anti-Aging Serum. I was totally stoked to try the new line of organic, completely natural face, hair, body products by Horst , the founder of Aveda. My favorite product is the Anti-Aging Serum, made from organic seed oil, which turned my dry, flaky skin into silk. My gripes? The products smells a little like salad dressing, which would be weird except for the fact the entire line is made from food ingredients and the price is out of this world ($60 bucks). However, in this case, you really do pay for what you get.
3. Fashion: Jones NY Faux Fur Tiered Jacket With Hoodie,$209.99 at Jones New York. If there is one thing to purchase this season, it’s a fabulous faux fur jacket and this jacket from Jones NY is so fabulous that it looks real (well, almost). I just wish they would have spent a bit more time styling the model.
4. Live Your Dream: Patricia Handschiegel’s New Power Girls Series on the Huffington Post. If you’ve ever wanted to start your own business, then you must read Patricia Handschiegel’s thought provoking series about women entrepreneurs. Patricia, a brainy top media executive, built and sold the first online fashion community site in 2007, sits on the board of major corporations, and runs a transmedia company (meaning across many different types of media), so powerful that it doesn’t even need a full website. Her weekly New Power Girls series interviews powerful women, who bootstrapped their way to success and who generously offer their frank advice and useful business tips.
5. Do Good: American Express United Way Charity Gift Card, $3.95 online at AmericanExpress. The United Way Charity Gift Card from American Express is an excellent way to manage both your holiday spending and give back. For every card sold, American Express will donate the $3.95 purchase fee to United Way, an organization dedicated to improving lives by addressing education, income and health needs within communities nationwide. Note: what a great way to get back in our good graces AMEX. Other credit card companies take note.