Est. reading time: 2 minute(s). So, about our budget fashion and style advice: We sometimes use affiliate links, so we might earn a buck or two if you click and buy :) !
Congratulations! You are starting your first year of college. No longer the Supreme Being you once were as a Senior in High School, you are about to embark on an adventure that will change your life . . . for better or for worse. Before I went to college, I wish I had someone to give me sound fashion advice, like a fashion godmother. My fashion godmother would have sat me down, over a nice lunch, and told me what I should and should not bring to my first year of college. She would have explained that in college, fashion is highly subjective. Usually if it smells clean and it somewhat matches, then it is a fashionable outfit. Perhaps if I would have had this advice, I wouldn’t have looked like the main character from “Little House on the Prairie” during my first year. Here’s a couple of fashion related observations that I wish someone would have told me before my freshmen year of college.
What to Bring
1. A pair of wrinkle free pajamas that can double an outfit—Wake up and head right to your 8 am class.
2. Jeans—You’ll wear them over and over, so get a good pair of basic jeans from the GAP or Levi. Leave the trendy stuff at home. Remember these have to last four years
3. A baseball hat—After the first semester, you will not have the time, nor will you care, about doing your hair.
4. A black suit—Versatile. For internship interviews and for those great receptions with the free food.
5. Friendly attitude—This is the more important fashion advice, because borrowing is the cheapest way to expand your wardrobe. Make lots of new friends, so that you have lots of borrowing options.
What not to Bring
1. Your parents—Clashes with every outfit.
2. High school letterman jacket—This will limit your ability to do #5 above.
3. High school backpack with all the decals and little buttons on it—Leave that relic at home. Get a nice Messenger Bag
4. Valuable jewelry—It will probably get stolen
5. High school boyfriend—You are in love. But after your first semester, you will have been in love at least five other times.