One of this season’s biggest comebacks is Velvet, which was all the rage in the 90s. The fabric started to appear again in 2009- Chloe did gathered velvet skirts, Prada did exquisite coats and true to form,Marc Jacob’s did sweet, romantic dresses. Then we began to see trendsetters like Julia Restoin Roitfeld, Jessica Alba and Isabel Lucas in velvet. Just remember, when trying to emulate these stunning designer looks for prices that won’t force you to live on ramen for months, keep the look simple.Go for deeply rich gem tones or basic black and keep away from pieces with too many embellishments. Keep it chic but classy. For example, try to branch out by wearing a fitted shift dress in something solid like cotton and accessorize with a velvet shrug.
Our Favorite Velvet Pieces for Under $80
1. ASOS Mesh & Velvet Body Con Dress, £38.00
2. Cropped velvet swing jacket, $21.99
3. Velvet and Mesh Tunic, $55
- The cutouts on this piece are very fashion forward (a sort of an ode to the infamous Alexander Wang mesh dress)
4. Signature Silk Velvet Collection: Cropped Jacket, $79
5. Inner Beauty Bolero, $57.99