This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
They might look as though they don’t have a care in the world, but celebrities are real people, too. Right? Kinda? Well, one thing we know for sure is that they’re just as much a part of the environment as we are, and they’ve got the causes to prove it. So we’re giving a shout out to five celebs who are making a difference when it comes to the environment.
1. Jessica Biel, along with other celebrities, just finished hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro to raise awareness about the global water crisis. She’s also been spotted with the uber-hip Anya Hindmarch “I’m not a Plastic Bag” bag.
2. Leonardo DiCaprio is a giant of the eco world. He not only talks it, he lives it (literally – he lives in a state-of-the-art green condo in New York City). A million dollars was just donated to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund through The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, a foundation that supports efforts to secure a sustainable future for our planet and all of its inhabitants. Even his personal website is geared toward promoting his efforts for the environment.
3. Cameron Diaz, one of the first eco activist celebrities, did an eco adventure show for MTV back in 2004. Recently she filmed a small documentary about our relationship with the planet, where she traveled across the country to talk with people about what worries us most about the environment. View a short video here.
4. Arnold Schwarzenegger, having crossed over from eco-celebrity to eco-politician, has more opportunity than most to make a real difference. With the State of California as his backdrop, Schwarzenegger has pushed Washington, as well as the automotive industry, to move at a quicker pace. Recently he led a discussion at the United Nations Climate Change Conference championing the idea of subnational governments, like California, adopting their own targets, laws and policies in the absence of national agreements on sustainable energy policies.
5. Alicia Silverstone was one of the first people to make vegan look sexy. In an interview with Women’s Wear Daily, Alicia explained her philosophy when it comes to her green lifestyle, “I’m not perfect at all, I just try really hard. Just do the most you can. It’s not all or nothing.”